Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Is it possible to plug in an external iSight camera with the new iMac and turn off the internal one? My mom is going to buy the 20" iMac, because my brother is going to take cello lessons over the iChat AV, and he needs the freedom of moving the camera around.

Also, is the 20" iMac the best option for video conferencing? Does it run it fast enough?

Thanks

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Absolutely, you can plug in an external iSight. Not sure how you turn off the internal one, but you can just select the external one for iChat.

Any iMac you can buy from Apple now will be more than powerful enough for iChat, and the Intel ones will support 4-way conferencing.

See shots taken with internal and external iSights on a 17" Intel iMac.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
I know this is a REALLY dumb question, but my mom wouldn't believe me, when I told her that her 450mhz G4 Cube wouldn't run video conferencing through iChat AV too nicely.

Can someone confirm this? That thing has a 16mb video card........

erm, sorry for double posting, but I really need to know whether a 450mhz G4 cube will run iChat AV/iSight, because if not, my mom is probably ordering the new iMac, like now.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I imagine it would work acceptably, depending on what you're willing to accept.

If you're planning on buying an iSight regardless of whether or not you get the new computer, why not try it out and if it's too slow get the new computer?

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
If I had a choice go for the new iMac, not the cube... its built in and you dont have to worry about it because it is more than fast enough.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Thanks.

One more question. Would a normal video camera be able to do what the iSight does? We have a Sony TRV 950 Camcorder, and I was wondering, couldn't I plug it into the computer, and use it through iChat AV?

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Too my understanding (haven't done it since iChat AV first came out) a digital camcorder will work, and will be significantly better than an isight.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Video cameras work, but the only one I've seen used was quirky. The video camera would shut off after a few minutes unless it was recording. Expect a little oddity, but it definitely works.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
macgeek2005 said:
Thanks.

One more question. Would a normal video camera be able to do what the iSight does? We have a Sony TRV 950 Camcorder, and I was wondering, couldn't I plug it into the computer, and use it through iChat AV?
It will work no problem. I used a camcorder before I ever got an iSight and it work perfectly.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
miloblithe said:
Video cameras work, but the only one I've seen used was quirky. The video camera would shut off after a few minutes unless it was recording. Expect a little oddity, but it definitely works.
Video camera quality is definitely superior to that of the iSight (bigger lens, etc.), and the problem with it going into standby can easily be fixed if you have the manual handy to read - on many camcorders, if you don't insert a tape, they will stay on. YMMV, but there's undoubtedly a way to keep it from powering down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.