External LaCie Hard Drive recommendation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aniej, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Oct 17, 2006
    I was wondering if someone could give me a recommendation for a LaCie external hard drive. The three I am debating between are:

LaCie 320GB d2 Hard Drive Extreme with Triple Interface

LaCie 500GB Big Disk Extreme with Triple Interface

LaCie 320GB mini Hard Drive & Hub
  2. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Oct 17, 2006
    Anyone have some suggestions on what external hard drive to get? I could really use some advice!
  3. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Oct 17, 2006
    for those that require posts in the public forums, here is a third attempt.

I am NOW thinking about the G-Tech G-DRIVE Q 320GB Quad Interface Hard Drive.
  4. 925AS macrumors member

Apr 18, 2006
    I can't really help you because I don't have any of those hard drives. But I do have a lacie, so you are good there. I have the lacie hard drive, design by FA porsche.
    I have a 250 GB and a 500, I thought I was going to be ok with the 250 GB, but it came to a point this year that I needed more space so I bought the 500 GB. I filled up the 250 in about a year, with photos, music and movie files.
    So my advice is to pick one that suits your memory needs.
  5. acearchie macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2006
    Lacie are always the best! I bought another slightly cheaper option and it worked appalingly! It was very glitchy and didnt read the hard drive fast enough for my needs! Like 925AS said pick the drive that suits your memopry needs!
  6. gelatin macrumors 6502

Sep 16, 2006
    ive been told lacie are poor,western digital are better
    i got my 250gb wester digital off amazon
  7. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    I can say thats not true, i never recommend a product as much as i do with LaCie. I had a lot of problems with Hard Drives but not with any LaCie ones. WD builds some nice HD's aswell buti had one die on me like a year ago.

To the OP:

I would recommend you either the first 2 you listed unless you have a mac mini then i would recommend you get the hub.
  8. epochblue macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I have a LaCie 250GB Triple Interface and I couldn't possibly recommend it any more highly. The enclosures are sturdy and always cool to the touch, and mostly silent (unless the disk is just starting to spin up), and I have yet to experience any problems with it whatsoever.

As an aside, having the triple interfaces is really nice because I use FW800, my wife uses FW400 and I have a Windows PC that uses USB2.0. So, my recommendation is either of the Triple Interface ones.
  9. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Oct 9, 2005
    8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I agree with the recommendation of the triple interface and also the 500 GB d2 Big Disk Extreme. I started out with the smaller LaCie external drives and found that they were filling up quickly, so then went with the 500 GB, which works a treat. I can connect it to any of my machines and get the job done.
  10. mustard macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2005
    I have just ordered a LaCie Biggest S1S due to expanded needs (Raid 5 is fun too) and have a few lightly used LaCie drives that my peak your interest - I have sent you a PM

I have 3 different ones - if any one is interested PM me
  11. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    I know it doesn't entirely answer your question, but I echo epochblue. My Lacie 250 Triple Interface is great ... no failures yet, anyway.

Lacies, for whatever reason, get a bad rap for being noisy (or for throwing data). No such problems with this drive (or any of the Lacie drives -- honking externals or pocket drives) that I worked with back in my ITing days, either.

Hope we're helping you?
  12. merc669 macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2006
    Southern MD, USA
    Looking at adding an External HD like LaCie. However, how does the drives normally come formatted? And if I want to plug it not only into my MBP for backup, but also my wife's XP desktop should I add separate partitions and format each for the Mac and NTFS for the XP. I believe if you use Firwire on the Mac you can actually boot from it. I am currently using Superduper across the network to my XP-Server and it was a bear to get all my data back organized after sending into Apple for repair and have to recover everything. Thanks!!

13. discoforce macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2004
    Vermont, USA
    Based on the recommendations I've received (and the extremely reasonable price), I just ordered the Lacie 320GB triple interface from newegg. If it blows up, I'll report back in. :D