1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

External Mic for iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ranny2, Apr 26, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Hi,
    I am soon to be the owner of an iPad 2, and was wondering what the best external mics were? I am looking for the best sound quality for the best price.
    It must be compatible with GarageBand, and the iMovie voice over.
    Thanks!

2. frankiepdx, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

macrumors regular

frankiepdx

I'm waiting for the same thing. I want to record a guitar amp and never really liked the sound of direct hookups. Apogee will soon release their mic called "mic".

There is the iRig Mic if you'd like. It has 3 settings for loud, vocal, and room mic. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be getting the cleanest sound. I wanted to try one from Guitar Center but they will not do a cash refund because of sanitary reasons.

I found a few videos on YouTube where some have used the camera connections kit with a USB hub to power external mics. Too many hoops to jump through for me. I'll sit back and wait.

Hopefully you find what you're looking for.

3. macrumors member

Thank you. I saw on CNET UK, that they found the internal mic on the iPad 2 had better sound quality than the iRig, which I was surprised about. I think I might wait for the Apogee Mic.
    My uses are vocal recording and music (loud music.. bagpipes!) recording.
    Thanks for your help.

4. macrumors 6502

Waiting for the Apogee as well...I wonder if their issues with the Jam might be delaying this.