Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Quick one.

I just bought my 2.0ghz C2D MacBook yesterday. I bought an adapter [for an external display], but fear it is the wrong one (and as such haven't opened the package to test it for fear I'll be put out $30cad).

The package says mini-VGA to VGA adapter, but the manual says the MacBooks have mini-DVI (can't see very well, missed it in the store).

Methinks I'll be making a trip back to the shop, do you agree? If so, what will I be exchanging for when I get there?

SolrFlare

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
The mini-dvi is definitely the way to go if you can use it. Just remember that it is a DVI-D connection. So, double check on your monitor/TV of choice to see if it takes DVI-D, DVI-I, or HDMI. If it is anything other than DVI-D you'll need an adapter for the adapter and/or a different cable. That said, you can go from DVI-D to DVI-I or HDMI no problem.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Sounds good, I also plan to use this machine with a VGA LCD and VGA projector. Which adapter will I need for that (looking at the Apple ones, they're alirhgt, no?)?

SolrFlare

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
If you plan on using it with a VGA LCD and VGA projector as well, then definitely hold on to your Mini-dvi to VGA adapter as well. Just use that one with a regular old VGA cable and that's all you need. But, definitely get the mini-dvi to dvi one if you ever plan on connecting your macbook to anything with a dvi/hdmi connection on it as you'll get a better picture than with plain old VGA.

dreamfocused

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2007
Toronto
keep the one you have now for your mini-DVI to VGA connection and read the fine print when you're shopping for DVI

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
if i'm correct, your macbook has a mini-dvi port, not a mini-vga port. Therefore, I doubt it would work. You should probably return it and get a mini-dvi to vga cable...which sounds like what you need. There is also the option of mini-dvi to dvi for dvi monitors if that were to be an issue down the road.

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
i DO believe Freyqq is quite correct. my old emac used a mini-vga adapter if i remember correctly. that adapter won't work on your mb. i had to go out and buy new adapters too.

SolrFlare

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
Wow, nice catch, I totally overlooked the mini-vga to vga adapter part.

What you want for your macbook is:

A mini-dvi to vga adapter for when you want to use VGA connections

and

A mini-dvi to dvi adapter for DVI/HDMI connections

Alternatively, if you don't want to carry around 2 seperate adapters, just nab a mini-dvi to dvi adapter and keep a DVI-D to VGA adapter handy on you to attach to the end any time you want to use a VGA connection. Whichever method you prefer will work just fine.

But, yeah, the mini-vga adapter you have definitely won't work with a new macbook.

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
Alternatively, if you don't want to carry around 2 seperate adapters, just nab a mini-dvi to dvi adapter and keep a DVI-D to VGA adapter handy on you to attach to the end any time you want to use a VGA connection. Whichever method you prefer will work just fine.

i may be wrong on this one again, but i don't believe the pin-outs will work using the TWO adapter arrangement. there's 2 pins missing that you need.

just go ahead and buy the mini dvi to whatever you need, be it either to dvi or vga. if you need the other one later you can buy it then. but two adapters in tandem won't get you the required signal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.