External monitor for iBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tech4all, Nov 27, 2004.

1. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I went to an Apple Store today to see if the iBook can have external monitor hooked up to it, like the older plastic Apple displays. The Apple store people basically said no, there isn't no way to do it (they mentioned some other way that isn't recomened, however). So is it possible to hook up an external monitor (The older plastic Apple displays for example) to an iBook? I did a search on the forum and it seems as though it is, but then the Apple store said no....so I'm confused now. And if it is possible, what kind of adapter to you need to do it with? The external monitor only needs to be a mirror the main display on the iBook.

Thanks for any info :)

2. Cybernanga macrumors regular

It should be possible

You didn't say which iBook you have, but it should be possible. All the non-clamshell ibooks will support an external display in mirror mode. (I don't know enough about the clamshell ibooks, but I'm fairly sure they do too)

The only difference with the powerbook, is that the Powerbook can monitor-span, ie, instead of miroring the display on both monitors, the powerbook will let you have a desktop that "spans" accross both monitors.

There is a hack for the ibook but it only works on some models, sadly not mine :(, and voids your warranty, but if your iBook is older you may not mind. (Google it if you wanna chak the requirements)

If you have a non-clamshell iBook, look at the ports, the one between the headphone socket and the USB ports is the video out. You will need a dongle which should have come with your iBook, but if not, you can get one from apple or elsewhere.

Hope this was helpful. :)

3. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

Thanks for reply!

It's the iBook Rev before this current one (got it back in June of 2004). And we would like to hook it up to 20" Flat panel Apple Display (not the Aluminum ones, but the clear plastic one). But people are saying that those are DVI/digital and the iBook only has VGA output? I'm not an expert on all these terms, so bare with me :eek: :)

4. Cybernanga macrumors regular

Cool, Still Possible :)

I'm not at work, so I don't have exact specs available, but you can still do it.

You'll need the monitor dongle which is indeed VGA, and then a VGA to DVI adaptor which you can get from most computer stores or online.

sorry I couldn't be more specific, but it's definately possible :)

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

>a VGA to DVI adaptor which you can get from most computer stores

Er, no.

A DVI-to-VGA adaptor is inexpensive and relatively common because it simply takes the analog signal present in the DVI connector and brings it to a SVGA-15 pin jack.

What someone with a VGA-equipped computer and a DVI monitor needs is a VGA-DVI encoder like the Dr. Bott VGAtor http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=0151-VGAT
    or Geffen VGA to DVI Conversion Box
    http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1310
    which encodes a VGA signal into DVI. Problem is, these cost $300.

You will also be limited by the available resolutions from the iBook. Before purchasing, check the specifications and limitations of the products with both your iBook and monitor.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

6. haiggy macrumors 65816

If you didn't want to use mirroring and wanted to use the screen-span that the PowerBooks have you can install a hack that just enables it which doesn't mess up your system. You can always revert to mirror mode. Search for "Screen Spanning Doctor" on versiontracker.com or something.