External monitor for MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TyWahn, Dec 4, 2006.

1. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

I was wondering the max size external monitor you can use with a MacBook. A co-worker of mine said 15" was the max, but that hardly seems worth it. Is there any truth to this?
    Thanks!!!

2. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

3. TyWahn thread starter macrumors 6502

TyWahn

Yes.. I know the specs. But what I don't (or didn't) understand was if there was some correlation between res and screen size.

So .. with this, I could run a 17" or 20" at that res? That is great!!

My iMac G4 (floating screen) only runs at 1400x900 ...

This was a big concern of mine after deciding on the MacBook over the Pro, as this is going to kind of be my desktop replacement.

4. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The largest monitor Apple makes with the resolution supported by the MacBook is the 23" Apple Cinema Display.

You could in theory run a 1 kilometre display if it had the same resolution.

The Apple 23" Cinema Display HD and Dell's 24" 2407 have the same 1920x1200 resolution.

6. knopix macrumors member

Don't forget that LCD's have a native resolution that can't be changed without loss of quality.

7. grum macrumors regular

I just bought a 22" widescreen to use with my macbook - 1680 by 1050. Only problem is i still havent got my macbook - 3 weeks after I ordered it :mad:. I have been assured the monitor will work though.

8. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

9. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

I think with Spaces on its way with Leopard, the need for a super huge monitor will decrease, I'll be grabbing a 20' ACD I think!

10. toontra macrumors 6502

Could someone point me in the right direction (pref. in the Applestore) for the correct cable connection I would need to run my MacBook C2D on my Dell 2405 - cheers.

Edit: I need the mini-dvi to vga connector (the DVI socket is used by the G5 PM)

11. valiumwaltz macrumors newbie

12. Rogier macrumors newbie

sluggish respons with external screen?

Hi all,

I am thinking about buying a (23"/24") external screen next to my MacBook's. Seeing as the MacBook 'only' has 64 MB of VRAM, could anyone tell me whether applications like Dashboard will appear sluggish when using these two screens?

Thanks in advance for your response.

(my config: MacBook 2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HDD)

13. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

The MB will push a 23 Apple LCD or any other monitor at 1920X1200 up to 103" as I understand. The 24" inch Dell has the same resolution, so the 23" apple and 24" dell are some good considerations.

14. WillMak macrumors 6502a

It will go smoothly or choppy depending on how you use it. If you set up your mac to use ONLY an external monitor everything will go smooth. HOwever, if you run it with Dual monitors, it will be a little choppy (nothing bad tho).

15. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Sorry if I'm hi-jacking your thread man...
    I'm thinking 'bout asking for a MB this year for the Holidays, anyway, so it should run a 20" Samsung LCD with the Mini-DVI > DVI Adapter ok?

16. codo macrumors 6502

This is something I'm wondering about.

I do love my dear little MacBook, but after months of use as a desktop as well as a laptop, the small screen is increasingly infuriating me when I'm not on the go.

I'll have some cash after Christmas, so I'm after this LG (1680 x 1050 native).

I'd run it in clamshell mode with an external keyboard and mouse attached. Does anyone have any experience running a large screen like this of the MacBook?

For example, when i hook it up to our ViewSonic VP171s at home as a second monitor, dashboard animations etc are ugly and choppy. How on earth the MacBook is going to cope with 1680 x 1050 resolution, I have no idea.

That's what I'm planning to do. I already have the Mini DVI > VGA that I use on the ViewSonic, but I'd want the DVI for the LG. You may be aware, but if not, those Apple adapters are really short and you still need an actual DVI cable in addition to the adaptor. Just thought I'd let you know, because I got the VGA thing and had to run out getting another cable.

17. bpm2000 macrumors newbie

Im picking up that same monitor and doing the exact same thing this weekend.
    Im also putting a monitor arm on it since the base on the LG is so damn ugly.

Just got my macbook btw, cant wait to clean up my desktop space!

18. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

19. codo macrumors 6502

I'm with you on the base - I quite like this arm. Probably wont have enough left in my feeble budget though :rolleyes:.

Do post your experiences using the MacBook with the display - I've heard its a great display from various sources, so do enjoy it.

20. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Yeah,thanks for telling me. I can use either the DVI or VGA cables that came with my SyncMaster 204BW anyway though.

21. grum macrumors regular

I'm using my new macbook with a 22" Videoseven monitor. 1680 x 1050. Works fine in lid closed mode, a little choppy as a second screen.

22. codo macrumors 6502

That's reassuring. Good to know, thanks grum!

23. whawhat macrumors 6502

using my macbook with a 23" acd and it's great. maybe wait till '07 = maybe apple will update this line and you can get it on the cheap

24. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I think the 20" Dell would be the best.

Its good value, many people in the Mac community swear by them, and its semi-decent looking.

25. codo macrumors 6502

Really? I'm quite surprised. I thought you needed beefy graphics cards to power these monsters. Excellent though, for the MacBook crew.

To be honest, I haven't looked at ACDs as they are very dear, and I just don't have the money. There was a rumour about a 17" ADC, I believe, but I take that with a pinch o' salt like any Apple rumour. I'm really after a widescreen with at least 1024 (or 1050, whatever it is in widescreen terms) vertical resolution for under £250, and that LG seems to be one of the best. That's all there was behind the decision, really.