External Monitor on Powerbook.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tommy.hanks, Apr 16, 2005.

1. tommy.hanks macrumors newbie

Hey guys. Is it possible to have the Powerbook open and only have the display on the main monitor? I hear the Powerbook runs cooler when the shell is open.

Also, is it possible to change the primary monitor if desktop spanning is on? For example, instead of having the primary display on my 12" screen, I'd like it to be on my 19".

Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

2. vasaz macrumors member

You could probably do display mirroring, and just dim your powerbook screen. As far as completely disabling it... the only way I'm aware of is closing the powerbook lid.

Yep, if you are doing spanning, in the display pref. you can drag the menu bar to whichever display you prefer (whichever shows the menu bar is considered the main display).

3. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Put your PowerBook to sleep, connect a mouse or keyboard and the monitor, also you must have your power cord plugged in.

Touch any key or button on the mouse or keyboard to wake the machine. The main display will be on the external screen. You can open the lid of the PowerBook and nothing will show on the screen.

I've done this numerous times with my 12" G4 PowerBook. Hope this works for you :D

Note: On newer PowerBooks the F7 key changes monitor modes.

4. yellowjacket macrumors newbie

mirror mode question for 12" PB

Had a question regarding mirror mode for the 12" powerbooks that I hope someone would be able to help. I was using a 17" LCD (1280x1024) as an external monitor connected to the PB and tried to run it mirror mode. Since the native resolution on the 12" is only 1024x768, my external monitor's resolution was reduced down to the same.

Is there a way that I can do 1280x1024 resolution on my ext. monitor in mirror mode?

5. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Not that i'm aware of.
    Try doing what the post above yours does and then changing the resolution. :)

6. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I am sure you can change resolution on CRT's, not sure about LCDS's though.

Here is an interesting one for you. Can a PowerBook remember monitors? At home I connect to a 19" CRT and have the monitor on the left of my powerbook. When I am in uni I have the extra monitor on the right. Then when I come back home the external monitor is set up so that it is added to the left, not the right in the way I had if 30 minutes before!Has Apple developed a coll way of remembering external monitors, just like it does networks. Just thought I would share that one with you.

7. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

You can change the resolution of any monitor, CRT or LCD. If you want to mirror your screens just make sure you have enough video memory (VRAM) and you should be fine. :D

8. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

Just drag the menu bar over to the other screen in display preferences --> arrangement

9. yellowjacket macrumors newbie

Thoughts on doing Keynote or Ppt presentations then?

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I guess I was hoping to do mirror mode in 1280x1024 because like most LCDs, they only have one native resolution. Anything other resolution makes the display slightly fuzzy.

One other question, has this limitation affected anyone during powerpoint or keynote presentations using lcd projectors?

Thanks! :)