External monitor on the iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cmm, Jan 20, 2007.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Even on the 17" iMac? What happens when the external monitor is plugged in to the iMac monitor?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Depends, either you can have it where both monitors show the same thing, or you can have it where the 2nd monitor extends the desktop, so you have more space.

5. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The iMac treats it as a totally separate display so it will run at it's native resolution. It doesn't matter if it's widescreen or not, the internal display has no bearing on what the external display is doing.

You can plug a 23" ACD into the iMac (any current iMac) and it will run at 1920x1200 whilst the internal display will run at it's own native resolution.

You could plug a 20" 4:3 display into any current iMac and it will run at it's native resolution (most likely 1600x1200) and the internal display will run at it's own native resolution.

The ratio and resolution of the iMac's internal display has no bearing on what the external display will do - both of them are separate and will run at their native resolution.

Same deal for the MacBook, MacBook Pro and all iMacs.

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If both monitors are showing the same thing (mirroring) then both will be at the same res which I believe will be the res of the 17" imac. If you have the monitors showing different things then they each operate at their own res.

It does if you are using mirroring, then both displays surely have to be at the same resolution.

8. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting. Now I just have to decide between the 20 or 24 inch. Any suggestions?

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, that goes without saying, hence the title "mirroring." But why on earth would you mirror displays instead of extending your real estate?

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

A reminder, if this is a PPC iMac, you need to use ScreenSpanningDoctor before you can have an extended desktop -- they only support mirroring by default. But they can handle it fine, particularly the 128MB ones. :)

11. zunzhine27 macrumors newbie

Monitor to small

I have a 17" IMac at my desk at work which I feel is to small to view or work on any of the design/layout programs. Wondering if I would be able to connect a dell 37" LCD computer monitor to my IMac. If so do I need a special adapter or other software?