External RAID1 for iMac storage - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by amin, Mar 4, 2007.

1. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I need more space for family photos/video (currently limited by 160GB internal HD on iMac), and I'd like to get a 1GB external RAID1 setup so I have 500GB or storage with automatic backup. I was looking at this -> http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/catalog/OTIII_Turbo/

However, the one thing that bothers me about that one and the Lacie equivalent is that if a drive fails, it is not user replaceable. Can anyone recommend an alternative where the drives are user accessible? My budget is about $500. Ideally, the drives would come in and out the way they do on a mac pro.

2. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

RAID 1 != backup

RAID 1 = mirror

RAID is not a substitute for a backup, it protects against mechanical drive failure only. If you accidentally erase or overwrite a file, or save changes you didn't intend, or if data is corrupted by a crash or a bad Firewire transfer, then your mirror is instantly and equally as $cr=w=d as the original. And if the RAID enclosure power supply or bridge board fails, your also FUBARed.

Get two separate drives, and set up SuperDuper to do periodic backups, THEN if you feel you need to have instantaneous protection against drive failure, consider making one of those a RAID1 setup.

4. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

CanadaRAM, that sounds like good advice, thanks. Spacewise, I'd like to find two separate drives that come in a single form factor requiring only one cable.

5. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You only need one Firewire cable to the first drive from the iMac, the second drive can daisy-chain from the first. You can get short Firewire cables for the daisychaining if you want.

THere are also 2-bay Firewire enclosures available, however that does lead you back to the drive P/S as being a single point of failure.

THe Wiebetech removeable drive tray SIS2-FH: "Enclosure with 2 trays, FireWire cables, USB cable, power" would be ideal, however they are pricey.

7. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

Those are pretty pricey - certainly outside my $500 budget. What do you think of this Sans Digital enclosure (looks a lot like the Wiebetech) -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822110011&Local=y