External SATA enclosure advice needed!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sethypoo, Oct 31, 2006.

1. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I've decided to upgrade my MacBook Pro's stock 80GB hard drive with the new Hitachi Travelstar 160GB hard drive. I'm interested in holding on to my original 80GB drive and turning it into an external drive after my 160GB drive has been installed.

I was browsing through NewEgg.com and found this external hard drive enclosure: Vantec NST-260SU-BK. In reading the reviews for the product, I can't tell how it's powered (AC or not), or if it requires access to 2 USB ports for power.

My question is this: can anyone tell me how this thing is powered, and if it runs off of USB power alone, will my MacBook Pro be able to power it using 1 USB port?

Thank you!
    Seth

2. Surf and Turf macrumors regular

Check out the macally phr100su. I just bought one they are aluminum and stackable. amazon for 45.00

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I can't tell from the manufacturer's website, but I suspect you'll need either 2 USB2 ports or the included AC adapter. My Lacie will run from just the FW port, but needs 2 USB ports - although that product might be different.

4. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the quick replies!

On the manufacturer product page it says it comes with a "power cable" yet there are no photos of it on the NewEgg page. The photos of the cables on NewEgg include what appears to be a mini USB2 to USB2 cable, and a dual headed USB2 cable. Would this dual headed cable be the "power cable"?

I wish they would just say if it includes an AC adapter. That I could use, but I can afford to have both of my USB2 ports taken on my MacBook Pro.

5. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

I suppose I'm looking for an external hard drive enclosure that can be plugged into ONE USB2 or Firewire port, and powered by an AC adapter. Can anyone help? :)

Edit: Would a Powered USB2.0 hub (powered by AC I mean) be able to run this external enclosure and drive?