External SATA Firewire Enclosure

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ltud, Jun 24, 2006.

1. ltud macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I'm parting out my PC because all I use it for these days is storage as I only have an 80GB in my PB. This means I need external drives. I have several high capacity SATA internal drives and I'm looking for a firewire enclsure that will handle SATA drives.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Luke

2. ltud thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Weibetech has just what I'm looking for plus it's hot swappable if I buy extra trays, so it will save me buying more than one enclosure. It's a quite pricey at $169.95 plus $49.95 for each extra tray, so I'll keep looking to see if I can find something else, but I'll probably come back to it.

http://www.wiebetech.com/products/traydock.php

I also found a SATA-USB bare drive connector for $24.95, it's not an enclosure, so it's not much to look at. But for the difference in price, I can buy a desk with a drawer to hide it in :p

Thanks,

Luke

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Where from? I've been waiting for mini-matching sata caddies. Some are meant to be out this summer. I could really do with something cheap in the mean time!

4. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I found an enclosure on ebay for £40. Its not pretty but it does the job. I was holding out for an M9DX2, but I couldn't wait any longer.

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The latest M9s are what I'm waiting for too. I really hate it when a compnay advertises something on their site months before its going to be commercially available. Nokia are the same. Every Nokia phone you ever buy is old before you pick it off the shelf, its replacement has already been on the Nokia site for a couple of months.

I really want three of the M9S2Hs. They don't have firewire but USB2 and eSATA sounds better to me, just get an eSATA controller in any PowerMac you might want to buy and you're good to go without any 'slow' bus delays.

Edit: Those M9 cases will apparently become available for purchase in the UK from: www.mag-cables.co.uk. They have resellers all around the world but that's the UK one. Unfortunately mag cables won't return my emails at the moment.

6. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe