External Seagate drive not being recognized!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spider, Jan 11, 2007.

1. spider macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Hope somebody can shed some light on this.

I just picked up a 2.5 Seagate Momentus 80gig drive along with a case. I connected to my PB 1.67 and it starting emitting a beeping sound, about 3 beeps per second. I thought that maybe the case was bad (cheap Taiwan product) so I got a better case, and the same thing happens.

I also have a PC here and the drive is recognized immediately and I formatted the drive FAT and NTFS, but the beeping persists with my PB. Running OSX 10.4.8

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

USB or Firewire?

My Powerbook would never mount USB drives, they'd just spin and spin but nothing would happen.

3. polevault139 macrumors 6502

I know PPC computers can only boot off of Firewire. But they should be able to read USB. IMO i think it would work if you were connected through firewire

4. spider thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm, interesting. Thanks for posting.

The case only has USB, so maybe a case with firewire is the answer. I can't get anything to happen at all with USB, drive doesn't show up on my desktop and it beeps for as long as it is connected.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

If it is working on another computer then you should take the HD back(OSX can mount an External with USB)....those beeps you hear is telling you something important;)

Bless

6. spider thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, you're right. Don't really like it when anything is beeping incessantly!:)

I'll probably take the drive back but this whole thing doesn't make much sense to me. I doubt there is anything wrong with the drive as it works perfectly on a PC, so the problem is probably with the case which is supposed to be compatible with OSX. Is there any reason in the world I would need to find a driver to make this work?

7. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Is it just something about my PB then? It's never been able to mount a USB drive, ever.