External Seagate Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by drewyboy, Jan 2, 2006.

1. drewyboy macrumors 6502a

I had a regular winblows xp laptop, and purchased a seagate external HD. I saved all my files, music, and pictures on it and then I eventually purchased a new iMac. I plugged in the external on the iMac and it showed up on dashboard, but then unplugged it because I wanted to save some more things from the windows machine. I tried plugging it in to the windows and it was unable to read it saying that it needed to be reformated, so in a panic I plugged it back into the iMac to try and save it, but the iMac also doesn't regnonize it. I can ignore it and nothing happens, close the window, or initialize it, which I believe will reformat the HD. Please give me any help because I have lots of valuable pictures and files on that external that I need.

2. aquajet macrumors 68020

You can try using Disk Utility, located in your Utilities folder, to verify the disk and repair damage.

As a side note, always drag your external hard drive to the trash before you unplug it from your iMac.

3. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

Is this one of the square-shaped external seagates? Newegg used to have so many bad user reviews on them, saying the logic boards died. Of course Newegg censors the begesus out of their reviews, and if you look now you won't find anything significantly bad about them.

Don't reformat anything. If your enclosure is hosed, you might need to physically remove the drive and plug it into something else.