External Speaker Program

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by brsboarder, Oct 6, 2004.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

I have an ibook g4, and i have this 5 piece plus sub altec lansing speaker set, and, the sound just doesnt sound crisp, its a pretty good $75 system, as soon as I plug the green cord into my comp, i hear a decent amount of static and the rear speakers are barely heard, anyone have ideas of how I can improve this, besides returning them cause thats not an option

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Make sure the speaker cords aren't coiled. They will sound better in a messy bunch than a tight coil. Also try to keep them from being right on power cables or another other cable if possible.

3. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

The iBook doesn't support 5.1 audio, so there's nothing driving the center/Sub or rear speakers. If you can adjust the volume of the missing channels (ie, turn them all the way down) that might solve your problem. As an alternative, there are USB based 5.1 sound adapters (check M-Audio) that will drive your 5.1 speakers. Good luck.

Marc

4. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I agree that the lack of 5.1 sound on the ibook will cause some of the speakers to not have sound, but I don't think that means they should be staticy. I'm not a sound expert though. I hook 4.1 speakers to my ibook with no static. I wish I could give you more help.