External Speaker Tips

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by number9, Oct 11, 2004.

1. number9 macrumors 6502

Ok, I have a 17-inch flat panel iMac G4 and have been happy with the external speakers that came with it, but now as I find my self listening to music almost all of the time at school, I figure it makes sense to upgrade a bit. I'm not looking to go all out, I just want a simple 2.1 setup with the two satellites and a sub. I've "narrowed" it down to three options and I was wonder what everyone recommends of the three:

JBL Creature II.........................$99
    Creative iTrigue L3450 2.1..........$129
    Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks......$199

Personally, being in college and not exactly rolling in money, I'd prefer to stay more in the range of the Creatures or the Creatives, but if the HKSS are really are THAT much better, I'd be willing to spend the extra $$. So really, I'm asking which of the Creature and Creative is better for the $$, and if the Hk's are really worth the extra $90 based on your experience.

any help is appreciated

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I bought the Creature II system for my G4 iMac at home, and am very pleased with them. Plenty loud with, clear, strong bass. I am not an audiophile, so spending twice the $$ for the SoundSticks didn't seem prudent, although they do sound better.
    BTW, try using Pricegrabber for those speakers, it'll save you maybe another $20.

3. number9 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I was kind of leaning towards the Creatures, but was curious as to what people thought...I am by no means an audiophile either, so if the Creatures do give pretty decent sound for 99 bucks or less depending on where you look, they would probably suit me well

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I bought a set of Creatures and it required that I rerip some of my music to higher bit rate. Through my PowerBook Speakers or iPod white earbuds, I couldn't hear distortion at 80 Kbps AAC, I had to re-encode to 128 or 160 depending on the track so that I couldn't hear distortion on the Creature II's that I bought. I'm guessing I'll have to re-encode again to higher bit rates once I save up the money to purchase some Grado SR series headphones.

5. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

i've got the soundsticks

1) they are sexy
    2) most people who see them in my room are just like "dude- cool"!
    3) they sound good
    4) they look GREAT
    5) the iSub has lots of boom and lots of control (seperate control dial)
    6) ONLY prbm is they use USB port....

& i got them for round 150 on flea-bay

6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I have the Creature 1's and they have always done very well. Plus they look very cool and do not require a USB port.....which is great when I am using my computer for other sounds and just want to plug my iPod directly into the speakers.

7. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i would go with hte creatures all the way. i have got a set and they rock. they sound great, look great and basically are great. also you will save yourself $100 in the process of getting them over the others!

8. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Am I the only one that hates the look of the Creature speakers?

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Nope. They are not the most attractive speakers by any stretch, although that green glow under the speakers does look kinda cool with the house lights down....

10. ebook macrumors 6502

Nope you are not the only one that doesn't like the looks. I was at CompUSA last night looking at all three of thoses choices and listening to them also. I would have to say that for my money I would go with the Creative iTrigue L3450's. I think they would look best next to my new iMac and I loved the sound. Another thing that I liked is the little controller for volume and bass that you can set on your desk. I'm pretty sure the other two options didn't have that. Anyways, I don't one them yet, but when I buy speakers in the next month or so I'm going with the Creative's.

11. entropybran macrumors newbie

I've had the JBL Creature II's for a few months now. I think they are unmatched in visual design. (Especially for the price)

Sonically, they leave a little to be desired. They are not bad by any means, its just the lack of mid's in the mains. The sub on the other hand, sounds quite darn good.

bran

12. callmesideburns macrumors newbie

The JBL Creature IIs look like over-stylized hunks of garbage.

13. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

The best solution for a tight budget would be to pick up a refurbished iSub from MacZones.com. They go for $40 plus shipping. The iSub (which is not the same as the subwoofer that comes with Soundsticks - that subwoofer is not an iSub) makes your Apple Pro Speakers sound a lot better.

Soundsticks sound a little bit better than Pro Speakers + iSub, but I don't think they sound >$100 better.

If you really want to go with the Creatures, you can pick them up for $68 ($70 for the blue ones) plus shipping here: http://www.megamacs.com/v1/hk.php

Spend the money you save on a decent set of headphones (if you don't already have one).

14. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Just skip all of those and pick up a pair of Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. They sound far better than any of the speakers you have listed, and are only $150 (and you can usually find it cheaper too, if you look around). I would still consider them they best bang for the buck in computer audio.

15. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

How do the sound sticks compare to the FX6021 Powered Audion 2.1 by Altec Lansing?

Can someone tell me how the sound sticks connect? USB or through the headphone jack? cause there's alot of debate on that..... :confused:

16. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I don't know the answer to the first question. About the Soundsticks: the original model connects through USB. The current one, called Soundsticks II, connects via the mini-stereo 1/8" 3.5mm headphone jack.