External speakers for a PowerBook 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by arrakis73, Mar 15, 2005.

1. arrakis73 macrumors newbie

Hallo,

I have just bought my WONDERFUL PowerBook 15" and I would like to add some external speakers.

I am not really an expert about audio & speakers... I will use speakers mainly for playing audio CD and DVD movies during my little breaks.

Does anyone could suggest me a good (and quite affordable) solution?

I remember I am in Italy and not all products are always available.

Thanking in advance, :)

Andrea Liana

2. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't recommend buying anything from apple because they have a huge tendency to overprice just about everything they sell. Go to newegg.com and look at speakers over there. What type of sound are you looking, do you want really bassy or a thiner sound? How many speakers do you want, do you want a small setup like a 2.1 or do you want a big setup like a 5 or 6.1?

4. arrakis73 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think a small setup could be enough, since my PB will be mainly used in my office.... I don't think to change my office into an home theatre :D .
    The room size is about 4m x 4m, and overhelming sound is not needed.
    But if you think that a big setup means a REALLY HUGE improvement, I could change my opinion. :rolleyes:

5. nerdykarim macrumors member

i just bought a set of creative inspire t3000's. there's a ten dollar mail in rebate on them, too (select retailers-best price is 33.00 from buy.com). they're waay less expensive than the soundsticks, and sound pretty good. check out amazon for reviews.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The OP is from Italy, so US-only rebates and deals are not likely to be helpful to them.

7. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

not to hijack this thread but i have a similar search going. Right now i have a set of creative 5.1 (5100's? Entry level about 2 years ago) hooked up to my PC. I want to get something that has really good sound reproduction. I mainly listen to music on my computer and rarel watch DVD's. So i am fairly certain i can ditch 5.1 and drop down to 2.1. I do play some FPS where the 5.1 was really cool, but again i would be willing to go to 5.1. lets not talk about price but quality. What speakers outthere really shine?

8. arrakis73 thread starter macrumors newbie

.. mmmm.. Same PowerBook, same problem :D

9. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Just check out newegg. They have excellent prices on their speakers. Plus you can read all the reviews for system. Many people on here would also agree with me on this. I bought my 5.1 from newegg and not only is it a kick ass system, it was $50.00 and it got here in 2 days.