External Speakers for iMac duo Intel

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wlance, Mar 27, 2006.

1. wlance macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    I have a new iMac duo Intel. Great computer, except for the built in speakers. I am looking for recommendations on external speakers. The output is optical digital. The speakers must connect with a 3.5mm plug on an optical audio cable. I hope to find speakers that are not too large, but improve the sound output.
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    The harmon/hardon soundsticks compliment that machine quite well.
    I have them and they're very nice. I do believe I will eventually sell mine and get some altec lansings. they match my setup better.
  3. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

Mar 26, 2006
    This has been an on-going internal struggle for me.

I've got a great sound system in my home. I've got several rooms wired up to the central unit. I'm hoping to connect the imac directly to the stereo this week at some point so that I can pipe stuff throughout the house.

I've invested so much in my home audio stuff that I always find it tought to throw a lot of money at my computer speakers. Hence my (I think) $79 system(3 channel). No, that's not expensive but it's not $19.99 either. And I don't even use THESE things to the fullest, say at night, when my wife and kids are sleeping. The sub is enough to bother them 4 rooms away.

I agree that the internal imac speakers leave a lot to be desired, but you know- they can (do) serve a purpose from time to time in my home.
  4. 1dterbeest macrumors regular

Feb 14, 2006
    Waupun, WI
    Logitech z2300 speakers.

AMAZING sound for the price.
    the 120watt sub throws the
    bass around big time.

I would recommend it over
    any sub-$250 Bose system
    I've ever heard, and you can
    probably get THIS system for
    less than a hundred bucks!
  5. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

Feb 17, 2005
    I have the tivoli model two with subwoofer and they fill up the room rather well. Not specifically "computer" speakers though.
  6. alexstein macrumors 6502a

Aug 23, 2004
    I recommend the JBL Creature II Nice compact size and the sound is decent as well.
  7. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    Those are the speakers I am looking to get for my soon-to-be-had Mac mini Core Duo. New Egg is selling them for only $98 and the reviews have been excellent. You can't really go wrong with a system as nice as this one with a price tag under $100. I can't wait to get mine. :D
  8. 1dterbeest macrumors regular

Feb 14, 2006
    Waupun, WI
    I did extensive research through customer
    and pro reviews on these speakers before
    buying them. I got mine (refurbished) for
    $90 including shipping. They are AMAZING.
    It seriously shakes the room at less than
    half volume, but performs well at lower
    volumes too. BOSE be damned for their
    overpricing schemes! Seriously get these
    Logitech z2300s.
  9. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
  10. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

Sep 5, 2005
    Los Angeles!
    I would have to agree with jessica. and crazycat...

I also have a set of Harman Kardon Soundsticks 2 connected to my 20" Intel iMac...... They sound great!! :)
  11. andthen macrumors newbie

Apr 1, 2006
    what am i missing

The Soundsticks 2 do not appear in Sound Preferences after attaching them to the line out ... what am I missing?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thx
  12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    Does it look like this when they're plugged in?
  13. emaja macrumors 68000

May 3, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i will second - or is it third now - the Logitech z-2300s. I have had them for my iMac for over a year and the sound is much better than the overrated SoundSticks IMO.

I listen to everything from jazz and classical to Rush and a little Metallica and these really handle everything very nicely. For less than $100 at New Egg, they are hard to beat.

I do like the Klipsch, but my ears can't tell much of a difference between the 2300s and them, so I went with the more affordable set.

Give them a listen if you can and compare them to the HKs. They compare very favorably to anything else I heard - even the more expensive speaker sets.
  14. andthen macrumors newbie

Apr 1, 2006
    now that you mention it, problem seems to be in the iMac itself ...

yes ... the sound preference pane looks exactly like the screen shot you've included in your reply ...

I take it you've experienced the same difficulty ... any thoughts?