External Storage and 2012 Mac Mini Sleeping Issues

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by albert1028, Nov 13, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Hey All,

Wanted to see if people had experienced sleeping problems when an external hdd is connected. I have tried several external storage devices, including OWC Ministack but it won't sleep and the external device will wake it up. I have tried to look at what is keeping it up through terminal but search has not turned up anything.

2. macrumors 65816

dasx

I have two external drives always connected and my Mini has no problems at all with sleep.

It actually sleeps when I don't want it to (due to Mountain Lion… DOH). Here's where terminal's command 'caffeinate' comes in handy.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

That's good to know if others are not having these issues as well. I wonder what externals you have as in what type of USB chipset is connected. Is this on a 2012 mini?

4. pup
    macrumors member

As above, I also have the opposite problem. My narcoleptic mini wants to nod off during handbrake encodes, and even puts external HD's to sleep in the middle of file transfers. :rolleyes:

5. macrumors 65816

dasx

Yes, 2012 Mini. A 1TB FW800 iomega drive and a 1TB USB2.0 Toshiba one.

Option 1 is to disable sleep, which I don't like.
    Option 2 is to open terminal and type:

$ caffeinate -t number

Where number is a number of seconds. If you estimate the Handbrake is gonna take for lets say 7 hours. Just type:

$ caffeinate -t 25200

It'll stay away for 7 hours. Then will go to sleep as normal.

6. pup
    macrumors member

Thanks. I actually downloaded the caffeine app after I discovered the problem. Hopefully it won't be an issue from here on.