External USB DVD-ROM on 333Mhz iMac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sigamy, Oct 25, 2004.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    NJ USA
    Would a Rev D iMac (333Mhz, tray loading CD) running Panther be able to play DVD movies thru a USB DVD-ROM drive? Or is USB too slow?
  2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Well, although a video DVD theoretically needs 11Mbit of data, which USB1 can supply, I don't think you'd be able to watch video anyway--if memory serves, earlier G3s like the iMac you're talking about needed hardware help to play a DVD, which wouldn't be supported.

There is a hack to try and help computers that old play DVDs:

...but reports there say that you'll probably have trouble on anything less than a 400MHz G3, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

The only bright side is that an external USB case only runs around $40, and a drive can be had for $60 or so, so it's not a huge expense to try. Then again, if you have the space, you can get a cheapie TV and DVD player for not a whole lot more than that.
  3. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    I've never heard of anyone getting this to work.

And frankly, considering how cheap DVD players are, do yourself a huge favor and just get one for yout TV. Lacking a Tv, then a DVD/TV combo can be had pretty cheap too. it'll be os much easier, and probably about the same in terms of cost. Plus, watching a movie on TV is infinitly better than watching on a computer.