Extra Buffer on HDD....is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by SolidGun, Aug 8, 2004.

1. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

At OWC, there is a Toshiba 60GB MK6022GAX 2.5" Super Slimline (9.5mm) Hard Disk Drive
    http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=5582&Item=TOSMK6022GAX

This has 16MB buffer (twice the size of most HDD in its class). Is this something that is worth getting? I have never purchased anything over 8MB and never read anything on 16MB buffer for HDDs before.
    They don't offer this for 7200rpm and I want to bring this up to knowledgeable people to compare 7200rpm with 8MB and 5400rpm with 16MB.

2. SolidGun thread starter macrumors 6502

SolidGun

3. FriarCrazy macrumors regular

Well... what are you going to be doing with the drive? What kind of apps do you use?

4. SolidGun thread starter macrumors 6502

SolidGun

With my PowerBook, I don't do anything heavy, since my desktop will do just fine. But I have been transferring a lot of data back and forth and the writing time on the stock HDD is bugging me.
    I burn DVDs, play some games on it and PhotoShop. But when I can afford to purchase some software for graphics editing/creation, I will get into that with the Mac.

5. FriarCrazy macrumors regular

Well, I don't know any benchmarks of 5,400 vs 7,200 speeds and 8 mb cache vs 16 mb cache speeds, however, I can try to help hypothesize some ideas that might be worth researching

1) A 7,200 RPM drive is hotter and probably takes more battery power. It has to spin the drive a lot faster, so I would guess it will drain your battery faster

2) Simple picture editing on a 5,400 will be allright, however, if you plan on doing video editing I would say 7,200 hands down.

3) The extra cache will help I/O performance slightly. You would probably get a bigger performance gain with the 7,200 speed drive, but you have to measure the cost. Battery life and heat could be a big concern.

4) Apple care, do you have it? I have heard that installing 7,200 drives can potentially void your applecare. If you have a probelm, they might try to blame it on the fact that the hardware wasn't designed to take the heat of the 7,200 RPM drive. I read that in a previous post.

Here is a benchmark of an 8mb cache drive vs a 2 mb cache drive of the same variety.

benchmark

I hope that helps a little!

6. SolidGun thread starter macrumors 6502

SolidGun

Thank you for your advice FriarCrazy.

However, I know that 7200rpm HDD has to spin less to load than 5400rpm HDD. I suppose it will depend on the usage of it, but that is what I have read.

Also, I am not too worried about editing stuff, but more frustrated with data transfer times. I transfer large files back and forth from my PC to PB from work/school/home and transferring all the data takes quite some time.

7. FriarCrazy macrumors regular

Very interesting. I didn't really think about that - thanks! Anyhow, goodluck with your search. I know how the abysmal data transfer times feel. If you remember, please PM me when you make your decision and ultimately install and test your new drive, as I would be interested to know about the performance gains.