extra eyes needed - help me obi-wans

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Keebler, Apr 2, 2007.

?

Which one is better?

Poll closed Apr 7, 2007.
  1. img00076samp2.jpg

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. IMG00762.jpg

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi,

I'm hoping you folks can help me out.

Here are 2 samples (sorry they aren't larger in size :(

one is scanned by a company whom i use to scan larger batches for dvd projects (aside from shrinking them for dvd use, i include the originals in a data folder).

one is scanned by me using my epson v700.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e144/keebler_deerkiller/img00076samp2.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e144/keebler_deerkiller/IMG00762.jpg

simply put - in your opinion, which is better in terms of colour, exposure etc..etc..

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. b0tt094 macrumors 6502

b0tt094

Both are very blurry, but i like the colors in the first one

3. Georgie macrumors member

"samp2" is super-saturated--too much so in my opinion--and bends into magenta, on top of which it's too contrasty and details are lost from the shadows. I prefer "IMG00762," though it has low contrast and is tinged yellow. The second image (IMG00762) preserves more information and would be easier to correct. Looking at the two alone, I prefer IMG because I think it's probably more accurate, but that's a subjective opinion. Neither are great.

4. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

The first is noticeably sharper, they're in different color spaces, and that's all adjustable, but the blur of the second kills it outright in a side-by-side comparison.

Blending the two automatically doesn't do too badly though.

Attached Files:

5. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks for the feedback.

i wish i could post the full res. shots as they are much clearer than this little pics.

cheers,
    keebler

6. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

If anything, posting the full-res shots will show even more how blurry they are. I've noticed this a lot with scanned prints though... they're not very sharp compared to digital. I think if you really want to still use film but put photos online, or even make digital backups you'll need a negative scanner... but I think those are fairly costly.

7. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Two seems oversaturated. Both are nothing great to get excited about. Is this the best source image you've got?

8. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

sadly, it is. these are 35mm slides from the 70s. there is another 275 of them. i may have picked a bad example, but they are similar. some are incredibly clear and some are the same.

when it comes down to it, what i use as a source heavily determines the outcome. i'm trying to determine if i should outsource the scanning (they did img00076 from a previous job) for a new job (232 pics) or if i should scan them in my office (samp2). I'm using an epson v700 with silverfast SE. I may upgrade to the AI version which allows for more colour correction, exposure control and Digital ICE control. In the end, i want to ensure the client is happy of course.

Cheers,
    Keebler

9. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Their scanner is out of focus. I'd throw it back for a rescan and see if they can match the focus, if not, then dump them- that's killing the image (not that it's an image to write home about anyway, but I'm sure it's someone's memory of a good time.) I'd stay away from Disneychrome-like profiles unless they were actually shot on Velvia though. That is unless the client wants them all over-saturated and unrealistic color-wise.