Extra HD Drive (possible RAID drive)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by deckmoney, Nov 14, 2004.

1. deckmoney macrumors member

Hey folks.

I have a G5 that should be delivered on Wednesday of this coming week. I'm always very paranoid about losing data, though I don't do anything that's incredibly important. Still, knowing my iTMS purchases (over 1,000) and my photos from iPhoto are safe is important to me.

My solution right now is to use a cron job on my iBook which creates a tar.gz file of my prefs, Adium chat logs, photos, etc. everynight and copies it to my Windows XP machine via SMB. I also run a script weekly that copies my iTunes library to that same SMB share.

I'm looking to totally get away from Windows, so I don't want to even run this Windows XP machine anymore.

I see myself having 2 options:
    1) External Firewire drive
    2) Add another 160 gig drive and use RAID mirroring

I'm leaning more towards the RAID mirroring at this point. I want to make sure, however, that I won't take a performance hit when I do this. I'm worried that I might buy a hard drive with different specs than the stock Apple drive, which would make everything slower. Can someone comment on this, as well as what solution they would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

2. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

i would suggest to get a firewire enclosure and buy a seperate hard drive. note the setup i have in my sig. i find it to be great and accomplishes what you would need.