extra macbook accessories

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jbusc, Jun 19, 2006.

1. jbusc macrumors member

May 21, 2006
    So, I just came into a little more money than I expected, not much though :) That combined with the fact that I'll sell the free ipod to a friend that I get with the back-to-school deal. But enough to make me consider upgrading to the 2.0GHz macbook with superdrive (over the baseline)

But then I realized I don't really need the superdrive, I'll just use an external DVD writer, and the extra 170Mhz isn't really necessary either. So, without wasting money on stuff I don't need, I'm just trying to brainstorm on what's useful I could get for my new macbook. I'm going to dock it and use it as my primary computer, and carry it to school. I already have a great 17" LCD and upgrade to 2GB ram.

I would appreciate suggestions, esp. on what I've written below (sorry if these are asked often...)

- extra magsafe power supply ($80, kinda steep?)
    - extra battery (worth it?)
    - cooling equipment (clamshell mode?)
    - apple usb keyboard (vs. regular PC keyboard)
    - parallels - I need both windows(xp or vista) and linux
    - quicktime pro
    - roxio toast or roxio popcorn
    - any other "need to get" software
    - kensington laptop "lock" (to prevent macbook from walking away)
    - internal HD upgrade, either apple or self (I'm getting 320GB external drive anyway)

thanks in advance for your help
  2. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    London Town
    Well, I'm going to order my Macbook (2.0 white) this morning, and here are a few of the extras I'm getting:
    -Apple wireless keyboard
    -Mighty Mouse
    -JBL Creature II's (white)
    -2GB RAM
    -Some software (not sure which yet) - iWork 06, Photoshop CS2, Aperature, Quicktime Pro (not sure about this one)
  3. fatties macrumors regular

May 21, 2006
    well my mac book is cmy only compuiter so i invested in an i curve (amazing! the thing seems to float) and a logitech keyboard/ mouse. the whole set up came to about 80 quid, but i am sure it will work out less than 150 or whatever the exchange rate is at the moment! didn't get the apple bluetooth wireless because i am switching and i like double clicking. but both products are def worth it.

and a foofbag, 25 pounds.

planning to get some software, buit a bit skint at the mo as thats already 100 quid of kit!
  4. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I bought a iCurve stand to place my MBP on (not sure if the MacBooks get as hot as the MacBook Pros do- but the stand does help alleviate heat and raises the screen to a higher viewing level) and a wireless mouse. Go with an extra battery if you will be away from a power source for an extended period of time (e.g., 5+ hours).
  5. secondplace macrumors member

Apr 4, 2006
    The RAM upgrade was def a good move. Cooling equipment might not be a bad idea considering these things tendency to get scorching hot. I think Parallels is a great program if you have a use for it. I use it and I know a lot of other board memers do as well. check some other threads for tips or ask if you have any specific questions.
  6. afornander macrumors 6502

Apr 5, 2006
    to keep people from taking it, i acualy just read this earlear at apple.qj.net

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    my most used accessory is a wireless mouse.. so that would be my number one vote. other than that, i'd definitely suggest an extra battery if you know you won't always be near an outlet (5+ hours is probably pushing it).
  8. secondplace macrumors member

Apr 4, 2006
    5 hrs is pushing it for sure. i feel like half my battery life gets eaten up by fan usage.
  9. regre7 macrumors 6502

Apr 18, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm getting a pretty nice case/bag from Booq, I think it's the Folee XM. It fits my MBP, but they've got other cases for MBs.
  10. batman123 macrumors regular

Jun 21, 2006
    Some Place Only You Know...
    Is that how long the Macbook battery life is? 5 hours? Thats not bad!

What about the Macbook Pro? Battery Life?

And i vote wireless keyboard and mouse... ;)