Extra RAM in iBook G4?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by skeley69, Dec 28, 2003.

1. skeley69 macrumors member

hey! ive got an iBook G4 1Ghz, 256MB RAM, etc. and want to upgrade to 640MB RAM, maxing out. However, will i notice any difference using my ibook from 256 to 640? I know it might run alot faster, but will games like tony hawk 4 and medal of honor allied assualt run faster and smoother? I'll probably buy from crucial.com so it will be quality RAM. Thanks

2. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

Re: Extra RAM in iBook G4?

Yes. you will most certainly see a difference.
    And 640 MB is not the max ram you can put in it. Some stores offer a 1GB module for the Ibook G4. It is (of course) not very cheap. But hey....performance comes at a price : )
    Have fun. mine is coming soon as well. Next week I hope.
    look here: http://www.lowendmac.com/bookrev/03/1114.html#174

By the way. the 128 MB that i ssoldered to the board, is there a way to get it out? And maybe a bigger 1 in there?

3. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Re: Re: Extra RAM in iBook G4?

No... unless you're a skilled electrical engineer.

4. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

Re: Re: Extra RAM in iBook G4?

not true, im not engineer but i can get it out with a sledge hammer

5. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I'm in the same boat. I've just put in order for a 512MB module from Crucial for my 12" PB (bringing me up to 768 total). I've found that everything runs well anyway, AND I did an upgrade install to Panther (my only option). No problems with editing video in Final Cut Express, even though you're supposed to have at least 384MB RAM for real-time effects!

Hopefully I'll see improvements in things like opening program times, improved Photoshop Elements performance and the like. I just have this feeling that I'll wonder why I ever waited once I get this installed.

My feeling is that in 2-3 years I will be able to purchase the 1GB (or even 2 or 4GB) modules for a reasonable price (i.e. same price or less than current 512MB module) and that will be a nice upgrade. I can't justify the current price for the 1GB module - I'd rather save and get Logic 6.

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Re: Re: Re: Extra RAM in iBook G4?

lol, I think his intent was to having a workable computer after the operation.

7. skeley69 thread starter macrumors member

hey guys thanks a lot for your replys! Its helped loads. I will upgrade ASAP. Hope you all have a happy new year for 2004! Cheers

8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

the 12in PB has two 128mb modules so if you add a 512Mb module you take out one of the 128Mb modules and get 640 Mb ...

9. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

I think there is a 1 gb module for the 12 inch PB as well.
    What's up with the quoting stuff?
    Some1 quoted something that I never typed in the first place.....

10. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

This is true of the first gen 12"/867 MHz models, but the newer 1GHz models have 256MB built in (instead of 128MB), and an empty slot which can hold up to a 1GB module.

11. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, I when I ordered my eMac here I got the 512MB option. A few weeks into it a friend donated me a 256MB, so I shoved it in. I figure the more the better, right? Well, I don't see too much of a difference, honestly. But hey, there's always piece of mind.

12. zapp macrumors regular

zapp

Performance comes from what you do

I think you will notice a ram upgrade from just using the gui, and launching programs up to about 512mb ram, after that point, it has more to do with how fast apps can access there data, such has photoshop storing the entire work ram, thus you can do thing faster. when I had my iBook, I went from 384 to 640 I noticed it went a wee bit faster. Have fun with the upgrade.

13. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

One of these days I'll actually go out and purchase a 512MB strip and give him his 256MB back...but I figure I'll take all I can for now. :-D