extra SATA ports - booting windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ether6, Sep 16, 2006.

1. ether6 macrumors newbie

Sep 10, 2006
    Has anyone been able to use one of the extra SATA ports to boot into windows?

I have 5 HDs in the mac pro, 4 for OSX (set up as 2 Raid 0 drives) and a HD for XP. OSX sees all the drives and can access them (even a HD connected to either one of the extra SATA ports). Booting in windows is only possible when i have the XP HD in one of the 4 standard HD bays. If it set the XP HD to run from one of the extra ports, it won't boot, the MacPro will see it when pressing option and display it as a Boot drive along with my OSX boot drive, but after selecting the XP HD it won't boot. When I boot into XP using one of the standard bays, XP also will not see any drives connected on one of the extra SATA ports.

I installed XP using one of the standard HD bays without any other HDs attached? wondering if this is the issue? tried to get XP to look for new hardware but no luck.
  2. Terrabit macrumors newbie

Aug 26, 2006
    I have experienced a similar problem

I just pulled apart my Mac Pro system, installed a SATA cable under the fan, power up, and tried to install XP. Just like you, Windows XP simply won't recognise the 2 additional SATA ports.

I wonder what problems lurk when the SATA BLU-RAY drives are released for XP. I expect Apple will have by then, added yet-another driver to the Boot Camp installation disk :(

By the way, you might be interested in my 4 drive OS-X RAID configuration, (including both RAID-10 and RAID-0 on the same system):