"Extra" SATA Ports Not Working

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by notsane, Aug 26, 2006.

1. notsane macrumors newbie

I just picked up a 2.66 MP 2GB and got some SATA-eSATA PCI plates to route the 2 hidden SATA ports to my eSATA drive and it was a no go. I tried both having the drive powered up then booting (system hung at the gray screen) and powering on the drive after the MP was up and running (nothing happened). any ideas?

Mike:mad:

2. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

What is a PCI plate? The Mac Pro is PCI Express - not PCI - just trying to understand your terminology.

3. notsane thread starter macrumors newbie

4. damado macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if I understood correctly, but were you trying to boot off that drive connected to the extra sata ports or just use it as an extra drive?

I'm planning on doing the same thing with an external drive so I can move it back and forth from my HTPC for movie editing.

Have you tried connecting the PCI plate to one of the 4 normal drive sata connectors?

5. davey0 macrumors member

Why can't anything be simple?

Maybe there is a jumper somewhere.

6. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

Damn that is strange. I assume the MP motherboard/case doesnt have any switch in it that identifies a hard drive is installed in the bay?

7. notsane thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just trying to use it as another external drive, not booting. I bet it is disabled in software somewhere. or a future firmware update will fix this issue (about the time blue ray add ons are available)

8. waremaster macrumors 6502

The Mac Pro supports SATA I and IInot the newer eSATA If you have a regular SATA drive my guess is it will work fine.

9. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

eSATA and SATA are essentially the same. ESATA just sends stronger signals thus allowing for longer cables - 2m instead of 1m if I remember correctly. If There is a 1m cable going from the connector to the back of the mac and another from the back of the mac to the hard drive and the total length is over 1m then I guess issues could arise. If you connect a normal SATA drive to the motherboard connector and power it from another power supply or the optical drive's connector then we will know for sure if its disabled or not.

10. notsane thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm

Good point, I will have some time to try that out soon. I really need them to be extermal though (I suppose I will just buy a PCI Express card)

11. notsane thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone Else?

Has anyone else tried to use these ports?

12. Fedge macrumors regular

Fedge

I have been waiting to try this. As soon as mine comes in (sep 12th) I plan on trying this.

13. damado macrumors 6502

It would be nice to get them to work with a passthrough, and then attach something like this

14. davey0 macrumors member

It works! I connected a drive using a 4" sata cable (only one I had with 90 degree connector) and power from the cd drive. The computer started up fine and I'm now copying 49,000 files off of it to another drive in bay 2.

15. damado macrumors 6502

Great news, did you have to do anything special besides using a 90 degree connector to make it fit?

Do you use a PCI passthrough? pics?

16. davey0 macrumors member

I just used the 4" cable and a sata power adapter. It was only temporary to see if this thing actually works and to get files off of the drive.

Here are some pictures. It's nothing much.

Attached Files:

17. damado macrumors 6502

Hey thanks for the shots!

This is very good news =)

18. notsane thread starter macrumors newbie

How did you get it apart? I had to squeeze my connecter under...

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Remember, besides the Optical Power -- there are the 2 auxiliary power connectors for the PCI Express video card's "booster cables."

20. rogrog macrumors newbie

Sata ports not working for me

AM in Boot camp on Mac Pro. Did anyone get the extra sata ports to work?

21. alien2108 macrumors member

They work only under OS X, not under XP....Damn...Hopefully soon....

22. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

Oh yeah, I was going to mention that...

My OS X is booted off one of those ports.

23. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

You should note that the internal SATA ports are not hot-swappable.

So plugging that plate in will only lead to PAIN AND SADNESS!.. unless you treat it like one of those old external SCSI drives.