extra storage - using a PC case???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Keebler, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi there,

I've been obsessing about adding storage to my G5. I do audio and video work so I definitely need the space.

I already have 6 externals and another internal.

I've been looking at the sonnet fusion 400 and 500 with their related pci-x cards, but that may be out of my price range (although it looks to be what i need).

my question: i've seen posts with people suggesting using a PC case and a bunch of HDs. How would I make this work? I know to mount the HDs in the case and make sure the case has a strong power supply, but how would i connect to my G5? using an e-sata card and wires? would all HDs have to connect or could i create this port multiplier connection like the fusions have?

thoughts? suggestions?

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

You could get several IDE to USB adapters (without the external casings, you can get them) and a couple of usb hubs, put in an atx power supply and rig everything up to that.

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I have been thinking about doing this for ages. An old PC case w/ power supply, a handful of hard drives (I was thinking that 80gb units are cheap cheap now-a-days), say 5 to start, USB to IDE adaptors, and either a large USB hub or a few smaller ones.

Have OS X put them in a software RAID and use it for massive media storage. With a drill, some spare parts, and some inventiveness I think I could put 12 to 20 drives in a medium sized PC case. Assuming you used 80gb drives at about $50 each, and the USB to IDE (w/o power supply) connector was <$15, with 5 drives you're at $325, plus 2 USB2.0 hubs for about $25, and a free donor PC case and PSU and your up to $350 for a 400gb RAID (minus any redundancy losses depending on the RAID type you use) with lots of room to grow.

160gb drives for $75... could do nearly a terabyte for under $600. :drool:

Ok, sorry for the babble. :)

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

If you're talking about that much money it'd probably be worth getting an old Athlon motherboard with a 1Ghz chip or a duron or something and shoving in a gigabit ethernet card and some cheap second hand pci ata/sata controllers.

5. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

sata's the way i'm thinking

interesting spanky. this, i think, along the lines of what i'd like to create.
    250 GBs are cheap now ($112 CDN). i could slam a few in. question is: how would this connect to my mac? or i guess it's more like a server, viewed over the network? i'd like to somehow just connect it directly.

somehow like this:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fusion500p.html

6. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you have a SATA card with 4 external SATA connections, you could run 4 drives (as individuals) in a PC case to supply the power.

Anything else (port multiplexing or combining, network access) requires logic and hardware, so either get a PC pr linus machine and network it, or buy a readymade solution like Sonnet or Firmtek's. Most of os here on MR do not have to technical ability to roll our own RAID/Disk management hardware.

I think USB would be a poor choice for a cluster of drives; besides being half the throughput of Firewire 400, USB loads down the Mac's CPU to manage the USB traffic.