Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Try WannaAudio on the Mac App Store. It was free on launch, not sure if it is anymore.

shaze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Thanks!

Yes, it seems to be definitely the right software based on the description and screenshots on the Mac App Store.
Sadly it is not free (anymore?).

Funny thing, since the Mac App Store, the developer does not propose anymore a trial version!
Even mac.softpedia.com has a page to download the trial version, but when you click on the link it now says "No download links available due to licensing restrictions"!
I really hope that the Mac App Store does not generally mean no trial version anymore...

Try WannaAudio on the Mac App Store. It was free on launch, not sure if it is anymore.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
He said it in the thread title. He wants AAC audio files from MP4 video files.

shaze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Ok, just to (temporarily I hope) close this thread:

Having Parallels and Windows 7 on my Mac, I have just installed YAMB and extracted the AAC streams of my three MP4 files. So easy!

In the process, I have also discovered "My MP4Box GUI", which is another Windows only application doing the same things as YAMB. Some people say that it works sometimes better than YAMB.
http://my-mp4box-gui.zymichost.com/

I have tried both on Parallels + Windows 7 and they gave me the same results.

But basically, both YAMB and My MP4Box GUI are just graphical user interfaces for MP4Box which is a command line tool MP4 multiplexer.

Conclusion: A little disappointment to have that much trouble for such an astonishingly simple task! Moreover, Apple is one of the main supporters of the AAC and MP4 formats...
It sadly reminds me why I was reluctant to switch to Mac.
At the same time, it is too easy to throw the stone; Windows still has around 90% of the computer market shares.

MP4Box being an open source project, if I have time I may take a look at the source code and create a simple Mac tool just for the AAC stream extract function.

pzr

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2011
Whilst we're on the topic of a YAMB equivalent, I might as well use this thread.

Does anyone know how to merge the audio stream back into the .mp4 (With the option to deselect the original stream like on YAMB) on OS X?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.