Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WigWag Workshop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Good Day Folks!

Hope this is the right place to post. My brother took the time, to scan in over 3 gigabytes of old slides, he then created a slideshow with the pictures so it would play in a regular DVD player. That works fine, but the problem is, his HDD failed, and he did not have a backup of the original pictures. I have a copy of the DVD, is there a way to extract all the pictures to iPhoto or my HDD? I am really hoping he will not have to re-scan all the slides. I thought I had taught him, the importance of doing backups, but I guess he didn't listen :D

Thanks in Advance,

-Steven

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
It depends on how the DVD was produced. It could be just a slideshow converted to a movie file converted to a DVD. It could be a photo DVD. Or it could be a hybrid of both. Some DVD burning software allows you to include a copy of the original pictures on the disc. They will be in a separate folder on the DVD.
Insert the DVD and double click its icon on the desktop. If the open window only contains a video ts and audio folder then its a movie. If there are other folders then look in them and see if they contain the jpg or other format photo files.
There is also software that can extract frames from a movie and save them as pictures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.