Extract sound from dvd

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ScotRobson, Oct 13, 2004.

1. ScotRobson macrumors 6502

Hi

I was wondering if it is possible to extract sound from a DVD and put it in iTunes.

I have a concert on DVD and would like to be able to play the audio on my iPod.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Scot

2. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

i've used mAC3dec and OSEx to successfully extract DVD audio. the programs are easy to use and work great.

3. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

or ypu could use audio hijack will let you capture sound from other sources such as real player.

4. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

5. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Likewise. I've given AudioHijack a try, but in order for that to work, you have to leave the DVD running and make sure that no other sounds play during the whole thing. Plus with OSEx and mAC3dec, you can choose what parts of the DVD you want. Like if it's a concert DVD, you could leave out certain songs that you maybe don't like. Good luck!

6. ScotRobson thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys - I will give one of them a go!

Scot

7. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

just run wiretap while the dvd is playing, and it saves to a file whatever sound is going to the sound output device. put it into itunes, and convert to mp3.

8. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

this will work, but again you have to play the dvd and record what you want. using the apps i mentioned earlier will extract the tracks as individual song tracks and you can convert to mp3 or whatever you choose. plus, you don't have to sit there and watch the whole dvd. i had great success with some concert DVDs. if this is what you are doing, try to extract from the 2-channel stereo track as opposed to the PCM or AC3 track. this will give you excellent stereo separation. if you are going the route that many are by utilizing their DVD player as a CD player, you could quite possibly extract the AC3 and replay the song tracks in surround sound. you have options.

on another note...does anyone know how to extract and convert PCM audio to .wav or .aiff? any good apps for this?

9. ScotRobson thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks mate this is exactly what i want to do. However do you think you could help me with the settings.

I have used OSEx and extracted the sound into seperate chapters which is great, but they are showing as VOB files and when I put them into mAC3dec it says the VOB files are not supported. So Im not sure what to do now :confused: