Extracting Audio from a Purchased iTMS Video

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Littleodie914, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hey guys, I searched both the forum and the web for a solution, but have yet to find one. I recently purchased one of Jack Johnson's live concerts (A Weekend at the Greek), and really like it. One problem is, I don't want to have to sit at my computer and watch the video every time I want to hear the songs. Also, I would like to listen to them on my iPod. It's not a video though, so they don't even transfer over.

What I'm looking for is a (preferably free) way to extract the audio from the protected .m4v files to AAC, MP3, whatever. Any format that will work on my iPod, really. Thanks! :)
  2. Greenjeens macrumors regular

Aug 25, 2005
    I've extracted audio from my DVD's then burne to CD for the same reason... kinda time consuming. Involves selecting audio tracks only and then individual chapter/song ripping with "MTR" and then using "AIFF from PCM" (CD audio from DVD audio format).

It's probably more efficient to buy the used CD for $10 on Amazon.
    I also burn all my iTunes music store purchases to CD-RW and then reimport from the CD to get rid of DRM protection.

Can you burn the file to any kind of disc format?
  3. killr_b macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2005
    Well, I found one way to do it... but it's lame...
    If you have digital/ optical audio out set that as the playback.
    Attach a MiniDisc or ADAT or other digital recorder with digital/ optical audio in. Use headphones for monitoring. Record while playing the iTMS video.
    Then import the audio file from the MiniDisc/ whatever to edit it. Just a little trim here and there.
    Re-import into iTunes and BAM!

/Ya, I was a little bored that day...
  4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2004
    try a program like audio hijack pro...i've used it to record a live concert that i was streaming. it is a pretty good program and has a free demo. the demo is (slightly) crippled, but you can still cleanly record up to 10mins at a time. after 10mins though, it adds static.
  5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    can you import it into iMovie, extract the audio, then drag the audio to the desktop?
  6. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Nope, unfortunately it doesn't let me drag the files over. I tried going to File -> Import, but then it says that quicktime couldn't parse the file. I think later today I'm going to check out those audio recording programs.

Does anyone have a preference between Audio Hijack and WireTap? On dial-up, it's much easier to know which program will work best before I start downloading them. :rolleyes: