extracting the .dmg from a usb drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by boneskid1, Jan 15, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Alright so this really is an odd question, but I need to know if I can extract the original .DMG from a USB leopard installer I made. I can't see any way to do it within disk utility and I don't want to risk accidentally formatting the usb disk as my leopard disk has since disappeared. If this can't be done it's not a big deal I am just would like to have a disc instead of a USB drive, which i understand that discs are going the way of the dodo but it would be nice to have that disk
    Thanks,
    Boneskid1

2. eyoungren, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

macrumors G3

eyoungren

Kind of confused. If you had an installer that was a DMG at one point and then used that DMG to make a bootable USB stick (what you have now) then only the contents of the original DMG would have been installed on the USB stick.

If you want a DMG again, you'll need to copy back in to a DMG. Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper are great for this. Both apps will make a new DMG for you on the fly.

3. boneskid1, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

thread starter macrumors member

That is exactly what I need, I just didn't know the correct way to say it, I will give it at try and post back with results
    Thanks,
    Boneskid1

EDIT:

Will I be able to burn the copied .DMG to a disk though?

4. macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

You will need a dual layer DVD and Dual layer burner.

5. macrumors G3

eyoungren

You can burn the DMG all by itself to a disk, although if it's more than 4.7GB in size it probably won't fit on anything but a dual layer DVD. If you want it to be like you have it on the USB stick you'll have to burn a dual layer disk as mentioned by MisterKeeks.

6. thread starter macrumors member

Carbon Copy Cloner worked really well the .dmg is sitting on my desktop right now and i am looking at the shrink option to get the .dmg to fit on a single layer dvd. it involves deleting the printer drivers, un-needed languages, and the x-code folder.

otherwise i will be at the target or micro center to get a few dl discs