Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I downloaded some music from a site, but it's a Quicktime movie, with just an audio track (in AAC). I tried just extracting the track, but that just creates a new movie with the same audio track. I could export the sound, but then I'd have to re-compress it, and I'd rather avoid that. I also tried exporting the entire movie to MPEG-4, during Pass-through on the audio, but that also gives me a new movie with the same audio track.
Does anyone know of a way to extract just the audio and have it be in its own file, rather than a track of a second movie?

JonoX

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2007
I came across this old thread while searching Google. I want to do the same thing, extract the AAC audio track without doing any reencoding so I can play the file on my iPod. Does anyone know how to do this? Also, is there a way to change QuickTime's default behaviour of saving audio recordings in a .mov container? I seem to recall when I first used the feature it saved as .aac, but now it's always .mov.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.