extracting video?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by saga, Oct 31, 2006.

1. saga macrumors regular

How do I do it. If I want to extract a particular section, which program am I using. Oh yeah, just to clarify, I am referring to a DVD. If I want to extract video from a DVD, what is the easiest.

2. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

You'll have to use a program like handbrake (google it) to rip the video off the DVD onto your computer.
    Then you can edit it in QuickTime Pro or iMovie.
    Though you might crash iMovie with such a big file....

3. saga thread starter macrumors regular

The DVD I am trying to edit is a Sony mini DVD-RW. The video is only about 1GB, so not too big. The info on the DVD is labeled "Read Only" and not "Read and Write". Could this where the problem is?

4. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

If its a "mini DVD" do not DO NOT Enter it into your superdrive. DO NOT, instead you will need a camcorder w/ a passthrough function. You play the mini DVD in a DVD player/camcorder, send the video to a firewire enabled camcorder with a passthrough function (plug the firewire into the mac) and capture using iMovie or another program.

5. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

I assume you mean its a DVD-R which is write once, instead of DVD-RW which is Re-Writable?

Anyways, that shouldn't be a problem... The easiest way would be to pop it in a DVD Handycam and connect it to your mac via Firewire, open up iMovie and you're off...

This article http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=165279

Explains how to use iMovie with USB (Near the bottom), incase your DVD camera has no Firewire...

6. saga thread starter macrumors regular

It is a DVD-RW, and unfortunately the sony handycam only has a USB port, No firewire. Unless they make a Firewire to USB cable. I do also understand not to put the mini dvd into my superdrive, but thanks for lookin out. I was able to rip it using Handbrake, though it did not rip the whole thing only a small portion of it. Don't know where to go from here.

7. saga thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, Just saw the bottom of the last post about using the USB. Let me check it out. All of this is at work so I won't be able to try it until tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the help.

8. doktormoo macrumors newbie

mac to psp

Any recommendations for moving video (home or a back up dvd when travelling, I assume mac the ripper is the best option for this) from a Mac to a PSP? Also is there a good PSP media manager program for the Mac?
    thanks

9. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

start your own thread in "Help" section of the forums (dont steal other threads!) lol

10. saga thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you to all for the help you have provided. In the end, Handbrake resolved all issues, though knowing that the non-firewire cam will show as a hard disk is good info for the future. It will probably be a lot easier than the way I did it this time. Thanks again.

11. iñaki'sonMac'87 macrumors regular

Didn't follow!!!!

Sorry if this is already solved somewhere, but I had done some research and still can't get the picture to solve the problem of getting some sony miniDVD Camcorder video's to work with Macbook Pro.

Yeah, I know, I got the USB port that won't work and a Multi-AV port, that I I unable to know if there is a Multi-AV to Firewire cable.
    I'm thinking about to use mine DVD player, but it only has S-Video (is there a S-video-FW cable?) RCA's, or Euroconector,
    What can I do?
    I really appreciate yours answers!!!

anyway, I had found what might solve my problem, a Analog-to-digital converter, but their prices are over USD200, what is cheaper than a camcoder to bridge the signal,
    But....
    I still wonder if is better to get the miniDVD to normal DVD, and then , with MPEG Stream or alike program, and then...edit...

The possibility to get a new camcorder, won't work, not even think about to get a new camera after getting a new MBP!