Extreme Vegan Parents Arrested

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sun Baked, May 12, 2005.

1. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Video:

0511malnourished10pm.wmv

2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

That is truly disgusting. :mad:

I can understand if one of the parents is a little wack, but both of them thought this was ok :confused:

egh

3. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

And the political and social ramifications are what?

Bad parents are bad parents, vegan or not.

4. Sun Baked thread starter macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Then request it be moved... but it does fit in with the other dietary choice threads that end up getting tossed here.

Most of the people that know the family aren't saying they are bad parents, even the kids are saying they never went hungry and were fed enough that they didn't feel the need to snack between the meals.

But this is a dietary and lifestyle choice that let to the children's malnutrition, and the parents arrest.

Edit: Actually arrested for what the doctor in OutThere761's no more vegan babies thread said could happen. :(

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No protein? Oh your God... that's terrible! That's as bad as the religious nutties that won't take their kids to the doctor.

It sounds like these people are morons. Vegans should know where to get protein from. Not that I agree with raising kids vegan, but seriously... if you're trying to do it you know you're going to have to work extra hard to get protein into growing bodies.

And homeschooled no less... I wonder if the quality of their education was any better than that of their diet.

Disgusting. :mad:

Wow, Safari thinks vegan is a misspelling. That's not good.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

this is the first i've heard of a vegan promoting a protein-free diet. i'm surprised a kid could make it to 11 on such a diet.

bad parenting, indeed.

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

There was a thread a while back about practicing extreme veganism on baby infants. If I can just find that thread...

8. Sun Baked thread starter macrumors G5

Sun Baked

no more vegan babies

I don't doubt this family will eventually make it into the medical journals, since there are several examples of long term extremism in this family unit. :(

The neighbors saw these kids and went in and out of the family apartment, and didn't have any abuse bells rung... they just turned out to be complete whack jobs.

9. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

Have they stoped teaching science over there??? How could they miss out that protein is vital??? We are heading back into the darkages... :(

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Only in Kansas. These people are an isolated case of the stupids.

11. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Man these people are seriously stupid. All the vegans I know make sure that they get plenty of protein from beans and such...

Wait a tic, wasn't this on an episode of "House" a few weeks back??? :confused:

12. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

It's not a bad thing to avoid the hospital/doctors if possible - in many cases, people may be better off for avoiding them. But anyway -

The whole no protein thing is weird though... how many hundred years have we known protein is vital now?! I live in West Virginia, one of the most undeveloped states in the union, and even all of us know that fact...

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sorry, I meant like when their kid has cancer or something serious and they won't take them for religious reasons etc. Wasn't clear on that one.

I know, it's insane. Like who doesn't know about protein these days?