Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phaselocked

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm from Belgium, and usually we have normal weather, but now this week we have exceptional hot weather. 4-5 days 38C°. The thing that worries me is that on heavy cpu load (Logic X, After Effects, Games,...) I got stuttering in all this software, I can't handle what it could handle in normal temperatures. Should I be worried, is this normal behaviour, something I can do about it? I have the late 2013 maxed out 15" macbook pro retina.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
The operating temperature is listed here. It's normal for a Mac to run pretty hot (mine hits 200ºF/~93ºC under heavy load) but when the ambient temperature is that hot it simply can't cool itself adequately and I imagine it's downclocking to keep it from completely overheating and shutting down. Thus the slow speeds.

So it sounds normal to me. If you go somewhere air conditioned around 70-75ºF (22ºC?) and it runs normally it's because it's over the operating temperature. If not then it's something else.

PS. I'm from that special country that uses Fahrenheit, so I apologize if my conversions are a little odd :)

Reactions: phaselocked

Atisha

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
I have a 2012 15" rMBP. What you describe is normal. rMBPs thermal throttle because the ventilation is bad. I guess the ventilation for most laptops is bad, but it hurts more when the laptop costs $3k.

The best I could do is get Rain laptop stand and use an external keyboard and mouse. After that, installing Macs Fan Control helped, so I could set the fans to go at max speed when the GPU hits 60-70C. Those are the only two tips that help, aside from the third tip: our next computer purchases should be desktops.

It's not the weather's fault, it's rMBP's fault. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are just making excuses because they like Apple products. But it is reasonable to say that laptops have poor ventilation regardless of who makes them. So we have to live with it until our next desktop purchase. And by desktop purchase, I mean a Mac Pro, since iMacs have similar same ventilation issues. And since Mac Pros get updated once every 2-3 years, cost a lot and have limited upgradability, by desktop purchase I actually mean a PC.

Reactions: phaselocked

phaselocked

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Thank you for the replies! I'm not worried now =) I was thinking to get an external ventilation system for macbook's but then I read on the net it's not really helping that much because it' ventilates from the bottom. I put a mobile airco in my studio now and actually it helped a lot in the macbook performance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.