Extremely Impressed with Aveo

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dpaanlka, Mar 30, 2007.

1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

So me and my roommate were bored in the middle of a day where we all skipped our classes so we're like "hey lets go test drive crappy cars and make fun of them."

So we thought of the Chevy Aveo and went there to drive one. With 103 horsepower it definitely is the slowest new car I've ever driven. But for a little over $15,000 USD, we were all completely amazed at how much substance you got:

• Leather Seats
    • Wood Trim (including the rear doors which most manufacturers cheap out on)
    • Chrome door handles and polished aluminum door pulls - also on all four doors.
    • Light touches of chrome around various dashboard features, very nicely done, not too much. Gauge clusters too.
    • Powered sun roof, power windows and door locks
    • Keyless entry & theft deterrent system
    • Steering wheel-mounted audio controls
    • 6 CD in-dash changer with Mp3 CD playback and ipod/mp3 player connection
    • 15" Aluminum rims
    • Rear spoiler
    • Fog lights
    • Cruise control
    • 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty

Also, for how small it was, it was really roomy and had a really large trunk as well. My roommate is 6'2" and he always complains about rear leg room, but he said he was perfectly comfortable in the back of this thing. We thought the hatch-back was kind of ugly so we didn't drive that, but our sedan had a fun look to it. I drive stick, so this is what we tested, an automatic would add $800 to the price. Anyways I thought I'd share it as the three of us agree we can't really see any other car having so much value, it might be a great find for anybody considering a new car in that price range...

We just can't get over it

Attached Files:

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

nice little review there.....

but i'd never buy an american car though....

3. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Oh yeah, I didn't mention it had a 5yr/100,000 mile transferable warranty. I challenge anyone to find anything comparable from any other country in that price range.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My Hyundai Getz costs around $12000 USD and the warranty is equally good. Now, Hyundai's standard warranty for all their cars is 5 yr/unlimited km for all Hyundais purchased from March 2007 and beyond. I think that's better. :cool: It's the cheapest light car to own and run (that includes all costs). The manual version uses a paltry 6.2 litres/100 km, which is amazing. It doesn't have a huge engine, but you wouldn't believe how zippy it is when accelerating, and how good it is to drive.

That Aveo car does look nice, especially the interior. Unfortunately, I'm going to evaluate these cars 6-7 years after introduction to really see how well they hold up. People who tell me that American reliability has improved don't seem to get it. Show me the numbers after 6-7 years, not 1-3 years. Otherwise, it's just marketing, IMO......marketing that doesn't work on me.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Easy. My parents' 2004 Hyundai Sonata, I believe it was about 16 grand, so in the same price range and has everything you listed except the steering wheel audio controls and 6 disc MP3 changer and rear spoiler (but trust me, that's a good thing. The stock spoilers available on those Sonatas are UGLY). Their car has 17 inch wheels (size doesn't matter a whole lot), as well as traction control and front side airbags. Not to mention it's got a pretty peppy V6 under the hood. Oh, and a 10/100,000 warranty.

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

to me the warrenty isn't a huge deal.....and not everyone drives 100,000 miles in 5 years...but i guess some do.

yeah, what happens after 100,000 miles? i've seen several toyotas and hondas with well over 200,000 and still going strong...

7. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I meant comparable to all the features, not just the warranty. I'm aware there are a lot of brands these days with a 100,000 mile warranty.

The Aveo is built in the same country your Hyundai is. And American reliability is a lot better now.

I meant a comparable car with all those features plus warranty. Not just the warranty.

A 2007 Sonata V6, base, starts at $21,445. That is base.

Yeah... a fine car no doubt. But the Aveo is the most impressive at it's price.

8. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Not to burst any bubbles but, that Aveo is actually designed and built in South Korean by Daewoo. You do remember Daewoo don't you? Absolutly nothing American about it.
    In the same price range is the japanese built Honda Fit, sure the Fit doesn't have the warranty or the fake wood of the Daewoo, but the Fit is a far better car for the same price.
    Also the Kia Rio and Hyundai Accent twins are damn fine econoboxes and are about the same price with the 10 year warranty.
    And don't forget the Nissan Versa, more room, nicer interior and more hp for slightly less money than others I mentioned.

Don't be blinded by thin leather and plastic wood trim, their are far better choices.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ok, but things still haven't changed.

For the equivalent of around $12000 USD, I can get a Hyundai Gets with a better warranty, and everything in the Aveo except the 6 disk in-dash CD player, leather seats, and the sunroof.

Mind you:

- I'd rather not have the in-dash 6 disk MP3 CD player because they're too slow and awkward compared to single disk players.
    - I'd rather not have leather seats, either. Cold in the winter (which we don't have in Australia), and burning hot whenever it's 25-30 C outside (and it is quite often).

OK, the sunroof is good for a $15000 car (that's before tax), but not for an extra $3000.

I'd also miss the fuel economy of the Getz.

And now that I look at the Aveo website, I notice that this $15000 isn't quite standard. If you get the base LS model, you don't get the leather (don't want it), the cool sunroof, and annoying 6-disk CD changer, and it's STILL not as cheap as my Hyundai Getz ($12750 vs $12000). The Aveo would be more expensive, and NOT have:

- an MP3 CD player
    - remote keyless entry That, and the warranty is still worse.
    - power windows
    - power doorlocks
    - steering wheel with controls (not even an option on the LS)

With the Hyundai Getz, there is only one model --- it includes every feature, standard. Well, the only options are Auto transmission and the "mica" paint, which does offer more colour options for the car.

Did I mention that the price of the Getz includes tax? ;) Holden, and likely even Toyota and Honda probably offer a similar car at a similar price. I'm just using the Getz as an example because I own one, and it has been the best small car in Australia numerous times.

For $15000 + sales tax, you're essentially buying my $12000 Hyundai Getz (which includes tax) plus sunroof and leather, and minus the superior warranty of my Hyundai. I think $3000 is a lot of money to pay for leather and sunroof.

10. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yes...

I was aware of that.

The Honda Fit really sucks, sorry. Just because it says Honda on it wouldn't make me pay $16,000 for something not as nice as the Aveo. I'd rather have fake wood, leather, chrome, and brushed aluminum than a whole interior of black plastic and ugly nylon seats. I would hardly call the Fit "far better." That's a similar comparison as those who say the Ridgeline is "similar to an Avalanche." Um, no, it isn't.

Well, this Getz also appears to be much smaller still than even the small Aveo, and an even crappier engine with 1/5th less horsepower, and not available in the United States.

And for the extra 3 grand, I would rather have the leather, wood, chrome, six-CD changer, sunroof, extra horsepower, and larger passenger and cargo space.

I'm pretty disappointed that you're all so unwilling to accept that the Aveo offers so much for the money compared to the competition. Honestly now...

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The car is around 78 kW, which is around 100-105 HP, same as the Aveo.

And it doesn't matter if it's available in the US. You said the Aveo was the best car at around the $15000 price, better than comparable cars from any country.

Secondly, the car isn't very small. It fits my 6'4" friends in the back better than many small 4 door cars, including his Mitsubishi Lancer he says. Mine is 2-door hatchback and the seats fold down to give me way more space than comparable 4 door sedans.

Lets scratch the larger passenger and cargo space, since I think you're having a hard time dealing with metric dimensions and kiloWatts (also metric).

Even after I price out the Aveo 4-door sedan LT model (using a 10000 Post/zip code), I come up to $15,725 for the Sedan LT model. Granted, I added ABS braking for $400 as an option because even the Hyundai Getz has it, and it doesn't snow and rarely rains here. :eek:

That's an additional $3750 for leather and a six-disk CD player when the CD player already plays disks full of MP3s. You'd pay $3750 US dollars for plastic wood and chrome, leather, and a six-disk CD changer? Plus tax, that'd be around $4000, no?

I'm not saying that the Aveo is a bad car, but it's better than any car from any country in the $15000 price range?

12. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I don't know, if I had to guess I would figure the Aveo is larger:

Getz:

Length: 150"
    Width: 65.6"
    Height: 59.6"
    Wheelbase: 96.7"

Aveo Sedan:

Length: 169.7"
    Width: 67.3"
    Height: 59.2"
    Wheelbase: 97.6"

For what the Aveo offered, yes, yes I would pay $15,752. Don't forget, there is also the sunroof, and everything else I listed at the top. It's an overall better car than the Getz.

And I definitely think the best $15,000 - $16,000 car you can buy in the United States.

13. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

That makes as much sense as saying you'd never buy a foreign car. Buy the best car for your money. It's about maximizing value.

Also, it is somewhat, oh I would say uninformed to still believe that there is a clear line between American and foreign. It is a world economy. Japanese companies are building their cars in the U.S., and American companies are getting their parts from Japan, Germany, etc. The Pontiac GTO is an Australian car, and there are many similar examples.

14. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

No it makes as much sense as saying find me a car in that price range that has all those features. It has nothing to do with driving only domestic or only foreign cars.

My car is from Sweden and cost almost three times as much as these cars.

15. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

You know what, I quoted the wrong person. My post was intended as a reply to the second post on this thread. Sorry about that. :eek:

16. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

17. mantic macrumors 6502a

That car is quite an eye sore for me. And I can't imagine the materials used being of much quality. Who makes the engine for that thing?

18. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The emphasis here is on the features for the price. Anyway, Daewoo (a GM division) makes the car. It's sold in other countries under various GM brands. When we sat in it, we were pretty impressed at the interior build quality for the price. And I'm more familiar than I'd like to be with the interior of a 2007 Civic sedan.

19. mantic macrumors 6502a

But you know your civic isn't going to rattle and fall apart. I'm just saying i expect the build quality and durability of this car probly isn't up to par. I wont go any further then that 'cause I have no first hand knowledge of the vehicle.

More for less hardly ever works to your advantage in the long run..

20. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The Civic in question is doing just that. I would have to say Civic quality has, if anything, gone down with this latest revision.

Well good. Before anyone judges the Aveo, they really aught to see one in person, especially the one fitted out like ours was. I've driven the 2007 model of every car mentioned here except the Getz which isn't sold in the United States.

No, but significantly less for significantly more makes you a chump.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Depends on what you mean by "more space", I guess. I can hold 5 adults comfortably, and in terms of cargo space, the Getz has more cargo capacity whether the seats are folded down or not.

With the seats up: 12.4 cu. ft (351 litres) in the Aveo VS. 15.4 cu.ft (437 litres) in the Getz.
    With the seats folded down and out of the way: 42.0 cu.ft (1189 litres) VS 43.7 cu.ft. (1240 litres) in the Getz.

Besides, hatchbacks generally have more space simply because of the shape (ie: a box), regardless of "external" dimensions. If I want to carry "stuff", I'd use my Getz, or even the 5 door hatch version of the Aveo. People fit nicely in my car as well, and has been a non-issue. My car can carry more than a 5-series BMW and a Volvo S70 (?), in practice.

The sunroof is a good option that would have been nice. Not sure if I'd pay $4000 for leather seats, a sunroof, and a CD player when the car's base price is only $12500!!

For $15700 + tax, I'd probably look at something like the Nissan Versa before I made any conclusion about the BEST $15000 on the market.

22. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I just don't like the look of hatchbacks. I'd prefer the sedan version of the Aveo. I don't really get where all this cargo space is with the seats positioned up in the hatches. Floor to ceiling? I mean, the Aveo sedan has a smaller trunk in back, and is longer. So how would that translate into interior room for the passengers? And either way, they're likely very close, and the Aveo interior looked and felts so nice to us (for the price). The Fit interior felt exactly like I would imagine at the price. Nothing great.

Both the Fit and Versa are not available with the leather seating and wood trim w/chrome accents. The Versa has a more powerful engine than all of them, though. And both optioned as close to our Aveo as possible (leaving out leather wood and chrome) came out to over 17 grand. And neither have that warranty, or a 6 CD changer (I put XM into the Versa to make up for it).

And how come this Getz, Aveo, and Fit all have such a great feeling of roominess when more expensive Civics, Cobalts, and Ions feel cramped anyway? Thats' really what we were most impressed about.

23. mantic macrumors 6502a

Well that's dissapointing. I use to own a civic (just sold it). It was a 93 Si Hatchback and was a great a-b car. Oh well.. I'll probly never buy another car in this price range.. but it's good to know there are a decent number of choices these days.

24. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Don't have much to say, but dpaanika, I LOVE your avatar. :cool:

25. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Thanks I just started it last night and am slowly refining it to be exactly what I want. I think I'm about done with it.