Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rapps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
Hi,
I just installed my airport extreme and got it up and running, however, the signal is horribly weak. I have a thinkpad that shows about an 80% signal and when running macstumbler the ibook is showing about 20% signal. I have a siemens wireless router that is providing for about 4 wireless computers plus the ibook. The others have great signals....anyone have an advice as to why the signal is so low on the ibook?

Thanks.

btw...I'm runnung software 3.3b1.

rapps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
At first that was my problem!! I had to press it in really hard. I believe it is tight and securely in.....I hope!!

BUT....it is still extremely weak.

any other ideas?

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
First make sure your AirPort Express software is completely up to date. Run Software Update (second item under the Apple menu) and install the appropriate AirPort software.

You could also use the base station's configuration utility to change channels and see if that helps with reception.

rapps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
Does anyone know if the most recent update is ok to use? I read that there were problems with 3.4 and not to load it.

Also...can I switch channels with the base station utility if I'm using a siemens router? I'm on channel 11 now....is there any particular channel I should use?

rapps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
I've solved my problem!! I had to really really push the antennea into the card. I thought it was in good....but it really went further in. Maybe you are smarter than me....but I thought it was in the first time...but it wasn't!! Give it a shot.
Thanks.

Pansofos

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2004
Re: Extremely Low signal with Airport Extreme

I recently received a WGT624 Netgear router and an airport extreme card for my ibook. I also have access to a Dell (yuck) with a card for the router. Now I have pushed the antenna all the way into the card and I get a reasonable distance, but the Dell can get all the way to the farthest corner of my house when he router is set for g and b (it is capable of 108mbps) is there any specific reason why the Extreme card can't do the same if they both can run at 54 mbps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.