Eye TV and internet connection

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Synapple, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Synapple macrumors regular

Mar 29, 2004
    Rome, Italy
    Hi all,

first of all I apologize if this is not the correct forum to post this but I think it's a software problem, so here it goes:

I've just bought an eyeTV 200 which works extremely well for watching TV on my Mac Mini, running Tiger 10.4.2.
    The only problem (a major problem to me) is that anytime I try to browse the internet while watching TV at the same time my internet connection quits. I am on a dial-up connection and internet connect tells me the the modem has hung up because the other side is not responding.
    I am using the latest EyeTV software release 1.8.4.

The curious thing is that I can surf the web just fine when EyeTV is running with no live windows open: as soon as I open a live TV window, though, the connection quits.

I have tried anything that could come up to my mind (trashed preferences, repaired permissions, reinstalled the software twice, tried every browser I have on my mac, restarted) but nothing has worked.

Elgato support is not replying to my e-mails.

Can you guys help me out someway?

Thank you,

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    It's hard to say, but it sounds like a bug in the EyeTV software.

Have you looked in Console (Applications/Utilities/Console) if there are any log messages that can give a clue as to why the connection is dropped?
  3. Synapple thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 29, 2004
    Rome, Italy
    gekko, thanks for your fast reply.

Yes, I thought of a bug in the software as well but I have yet to hear something from Elgato.

I did look in Console but, even if I was able to reproduce the problem several times, I couldn't find any logs regarding the modem or the EyeTV software.

If it is indeed a bug in the software, I just find it weird that I am the only one experiencing this and would like to understand if there is anyone else using the software that can use a dial-up connection at the same time with no problems. I mean, I know it's an ancient technology but I can't be the only one stuck with it!