EYE TV Finally Integrates with Front Row

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MRU, Jul 13, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Got an email from Elgato today promting their new DTT €99.95 usb dongle reviecer. In the email

Whether this is just for this device, or will be included in an EyeTV 2 update we will see :)

2. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

Eeeeeeeeee! Got the same mail! Thats cool... they really have to include it as an update. I even sent them a mail telling them so ;)

3. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Is there anything else special about this new receiver over the previous version?

And, yeah, FrontRow intergration makes this a really nice app

4. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I saw this too and rushed to the site to download the update only to be disappointed.

I want my update.

Now!

6. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Tell me about it :) Means I'll have to keep checking for when the inevitable update to EyeTV2 comes out.

7. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Look at their site 2.2.2 will be only for DTT. The 2.3 update will be for all devices.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I did look but did not see that. Have you got a link? Do they give an ETA for 2.3?

9. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

10. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

does that mean It'll work with my Cinergy T2? mmm front row integration?

11. MisterEd macrumors 6502

12. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

SAVAGE.

That means Front Row will be the complete Media Center now :) :)

13. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I just ordered one of these. Can anyone comment on how theirs is performing and any issues I need to be aware of?

14. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

What does it do add an extra option in the front row menu ?

Or just a new front end for eyetv that looks like front row ?

15. d.f macrumors regular

eye tv - confused

am about to purchase a mac mini. was going to get the eye tv 2. other than being bus powered, can anyone explain the benefits fo the new eye tv for dtt they are advertising...?

although i am not planning on moving the mac mini around, i'd rather not have another power cable being run around the back, so the eye tv for dtt does appeal for that reason alone.

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It appears to do both. If you have Front Row it adds a new menu item to hit. When you choose that item (or if you don't have Front Row and choose Fullscreen menu from the normal EyeTV Menu) it launches it's own full screen menu front-end. So the new Front Row menu item is just a shortcut to launch their own front end. If you look carefully at the screenshots you can see it looks a bit like Front Row, but it's not identical.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Looks good! DVB-T isn't available where I live (coming next year) but it's still a great idea and I hope to get one of these (or something similar) in the future :)

18. Queso macrumors G4

This finally means I'm getting my credit card out for one of these, but first a question to those who already use EyeTV if you'd be so kind to answer.

As I only have a 160GB HD in my iMac, I will be wanting a 400GB firewire external drive for TV shows. Will it be fast enough to cope with recording/playback over firewire 400?

19. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sure, no problem at all. It'll record happily to the slow internal drive on a Mac Mini. Any external drive will be at least this fast (actually it'll normally be a lot faster).

20. Queso macrumors G4

Thanks very much Robbie. Looks like I'll be off to Regent St. at some point this week then :)

21. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

The older eyeTV ddt (T2) that I have is also bus powered... There is no power cable.
    Personally, I prefer the older design as it means it can sit under my TV - excellent for when using the remote control.

22. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Try expansys for the new thumbdrive style tuner: http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=126363
    At £70.95 its nearly £30 cheaper than the Apple Store. I've been advising a friend over a Macbook purchase and she's just ordered one herself. The news that the EyeTV software now works with Front Row is definitely the icing on the cake!

23. Queso macrumors G4

The new DTT Stick is only £69.95 at the Apple Store according to Apple's website, so I'm going to go for the Elgato one. Unless of course you know something I don't about the Miglia. They look pretty much the same product to me :confused:

24. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

It comes with a remote, the DDT stick doesnt.

25. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

From Elgato :
    http://faq.elgato.com/index.php/faq/more/418/

This Full Screen Menu will be a part of the EyeTV software from now on, and will work with all users of EyeTV 2 software. It will see wide release in the upcoming EyeTV 2.3 update, which is scheduled to be available later in July 2006.