EYE TV now Universal..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MRU, Mar 18, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

What's new in EyeTV 2.1?

Universal Binary
    EyeTV is a Universal Binary application that has been optimized for both PowerPC and Intel Core processors.

HDTV on Intel Macs
    Due to the increased computing power available with Intel Core Duo processors, it is now possible for EyeTV to display full resolution HDTV 720p and 1080i on Macs with Core Duo processors, i.e. the MacBook Pro and the new iMacs. For the Mac mini, only models with Core Duo processors support HDTV playback at full resolution.

Export to iPod
    The amount of time required to export recordings to iPod using the H.264 compression format has been significantly reduced. A new preference in EyeTV's General preferences specifies whether EyeTV's one click iPod export button uses the H.264 (default) or the MPEG-4 video compression format.

Shortcut menus in the Player window
    Playback and output controls, as well as scheduling options are available in a shortcut menu by control-clicking into the EyeTV Player window.

2. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

That's awesome.
    I'm always happy when Universal apps come out. :)

3. PiTT macrumors member

I can't export the video in divx .avi, it says "current divx codec not supported" with the last divx beta 2 component..

4. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Cool. :) The temptation for an eyeTV increases a couple of notches. :p

5. UberMac macrumors 6502

W00T! *dances* I've been waiting for this! I should finally have some spare RAM whilst using EyeTV. *celebrates*

Uber

6. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

As a current EyeTV owner and likely soon to be Intel Mac owner, I have to say "cool!"

EDIT: Just noticed it's version 2.1 - I guess this would mean I'd have to pay the upgrade from 1.x to 2.x...

7. jrk07 macrumors regular

I have always wanted to try out EyeTV for over the air HDTV programming but haven't had the mac to push the HD content. Maybe in the upcoming months I can finally afford a slick new Mac Book Pro and a clean 23" Cinema Display.

Great news either way, I love hearing about the apps that are going universal! (even without an intel machine to take advantage of the news :( )

8. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

I just got my EyeTV EZ yesterday....

I hooked it up to my 20" Intel, then hooked up my ps2 and I gotta say.... It's amazing!!! :)

Then I hooked up a standard set of "rabbit ears" antenna just to check out the TV features and I was pretty impressed!

Me likey! :D

9. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

This sounds awesome, especially because I'm about to buy my MBP and an eyeTV EZ.
    However, I have one question:
    I would use it mainly for TV, so can I just plug it into the cable outlet in my wall and voila cable? We have digital cable on our big TV (39in Plasma) with a box and everything, but I don't need that to get basic cable, do I?

10. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

the EyeTV EZ has 2 inputs.... It has a coaxial input and an input where you connect the adapter that comes with it, which has your standard 3 pin RCA's and S-Video...

So if you already have cable, then just run a line to your eyetv... then with the software, it'll ask what kinda setup you have and it'll auto-scan to add the channels.. (that's what it did with me when I hooked up the rabbit ears)..

Even though I have DirecTV, I might just order cable as just an antenna service to hook up my eyetv to.. The picture looks good...

11. coot macrumors member

Just installed and tried this, cheers for the heads up, was waiting for this :)

App is now very responsive, no more delays in changing channels, swapping between the guide and recordings etc.

Pete.

12. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

There isn't currently an eyeTV product with an HDMI input is there..? I would like to be futureproof, and hook up a PS3, when they come out..

13. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Nah not at the mo! But truly is there such thing as FUTUREPROOF? By the time HDMI goes mainstream we'll all be on 2nd or 3rd revisions of our intel macs......

14. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

ok... so now that I got my EyeTV EZ... Aside from using my PS2, I wanna connect an antenna to it and since I have an Intel, I wanna take advantage of the HDTV...

I called my cable company and their prices were ridiculous.. I told them they're smoking crack and hung up on them...

Anyone recommend a good antenna for it? Something I can do indoors or outside my window sill... I wanna be able to pick up the VHF and UHF channels, and I don't wanna climb onto the roof... :D

15. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

bump... Anyone??