eye twitch.

Discussion in 'Community' started by wongulous, Sep 24, 2005.

1. wongulous macrumors 6502a

I'm going insane here.

I have this eye-twitch thing that has started happening this week, and it just hasn't let up. Every few hours, every day--sometimes for an hour at a time--my left eyelid does this awful twitch back and forth, using what I presume to be one of the muscles that I use when I blink (it feels sorta the same). It seems to happen more when I get upset or stressed.

It's annoying, sure. I can't just let it go, it feels like there's a worm in there or something and I can see my eyelashes moving, so I have to close my eye or put my finger on the lid as long as it goes. But more than just the annoyance, I'm worred. Am I getting Tourette's or Parkinson's? Am I losing voluntary facial muscle control?! I'm only 20! :(

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Stressed? Tired? Too much time in front of the Mac?

Given time, it will go away — frustrating as that seems now.

3. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

it's most likely fatigue. Get a good 12h of sleep every night for a week and see if it disappears (it probably will) but if it doesn't, go see a physician.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good advice- give it a little time & rest, and if there is no improvement then its time to see a physician.

5. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

I had the same problem a little while back. It lasted for about three months and then disappeared of it's own accord. I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you.

6. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

This happens to me too occasionally (usually at the worst possible time) I find just closing my eyes for about a minute or two seems to help my eyes, once it's stopped just use a couple of eye drops to restore the moisture in your eye to prevent it getting irritated.

And yes I am paranoid about my eyes!

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

In addition to fatigue, you should also refrain from intaking any caffeine... too many stimulants can cause involuntary muscle spasms.

I'd recommend taking some vitamins, eating a banana (good potassium there, good for muscle health), drinking some water, and having a good night's rest.

8. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

a lot of sleep will help. Also, be sure to drink a lot of water and get your vitamins. Dehydration can make itself known in a lot of ways.

I hope it gets better.. and you aren't driving much in the mean time! :eek: :)

9. wongulous thread starter macrumors 6502a

You know, it actually started one night I pulled an all-nigher about a week, week-and-a-half ago. Crazy. But I've been getting tons of sleep since then, I drink like 60-90oz of water a day.. anyway, I hope it goes away. Thanks everyone for making me feel better. I get paranoid sometimes, especially about my vision. ;)

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Whoops
    forgot to mention it could also be the plague.

the ..uhm... eye plague.

;) <-- I'm glad to see you're practicing one-eyed vision!

:D:D

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Nope alien infestation...

We probably should ask if he's been abducted about 10 years ago and anal probed.

Could be he's finally ripe and ready for harvesting, and his eye twitching is just the timer going off.

Seems some foolish alien may have left the impant on buzz, instead of broadcast.

Edit: Of course too little sleep (or too much stress) is probably showing up and telling him to back off, switch to decaf, and sleep/unwind.

12. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

My eyes tend to twitch during finals week when I have long study sessions and truly excessive amounts of coffee. Many of my friends have complained of similar problems, but usually a few drops of contact solution and a bit of sleep makes the twitch go away.

13. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

As a person who lost his center of vision in his right eye 15 years ago due to a plague-like virus, I am deeply offended by your one-eyed vision remark!

Just kidding... *punch* ;)

That depth of field is a little skewed at times...but it's all good.

Twitch may be stress-related IMO.

14. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I assume it sleep. (My eye twitch when I'm tired) Your most likely in College, so I reccomend to study during the day and stop pulling all nighters. :D

15. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

Yeah, I've had those before. Sometimes when I'm trying to watch a movie (very annoying to me), occassionally when I'm trying to drive (annoying to other drivers). I had them once for about a month straight and began to get concerned and slightly miffed at my own body (like "maybe if I poke myself in the eye, the twitching will stop"). I'm pretty sure it was stress as I was under quite a bit of it at the time. I still get them every now and then.

Kinda weird though, when I actually look at a body part twitching that fast involuntarily, it makes me wonder what my brain is really capable of. For instance, could I teach myself to do that voluntarily? Get fast enough to go a few rounds with Jet Li? But that's just me and I live in my own little world.

16. CompUser Guest

Exactly what I was thinking.

Stop exercising, become less stressed, start sleeping, eat some bananas, and stop drinking the coffee, chocolate, and soda.

There it is all summed up for you in one consise sentance.