Eyeglass frames

Discussion in 'Community' started by ravenvii, Jul 4, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    I decided that it's come time to get new eyeglasses. Any of you have any recommendations or ideas on what kind of frames I could look at? Stylish and minimalistic is in my vocabulary list for this little project.
  2. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    Silhouette titanium: totally frameless, almost invisible, hinge-free.

Attached Files:

• 30.gif
      File size:
      15.4 KB
  3. Lau Guest

These are mine. I don't really want to show my whole face, but these are my eyes with them on :D . I had sort of small oval wire rimmed ones before, which were nice, but now if I put them on I think "ugh"! These rimless ones are incredibly light and still look as if you're wearing glasses, but people can see your whole face. I got them with anti reflective coating as well. The only thing that takes a bit of getting used to is that you can see the little pegs that attach the arms to the lenses out of the corner of your eye for a while after you get them. For the few days you think there's a insect on the lenses or something, then for the next week you go around with filthy lenses because you think that smudge is the peg in the corner of your eye, and when you take them off at night you realise they're filthy! But after a week or two you're used to it, and they just feel like totally clear lenses. I'd never go back now.

edit: they look just like skunk's above...

Attached Files:

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
  5. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
  6. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Because of my very high prescription it doesn't give me many choice. Even with the plastic my lens is quite thick. So the minimalists isn't an option. More or less must go with the recommendation of the person selling the frames. Currently I have a metal frame that I think looks very nice.
  7. ham_man macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
    I would try a few pairs on in the glasses store and see what floats your boat. I personally prefer a small, metal rimmed frame...
  8. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2004
    I'm rocking these right now. Except I have them in black.

However, when I get new glasses in a couple weeks, I'm probably going to go for some turn of the centry styles wire frames.

Or maybe not. I've had black rimmed glasses since I was in the 7th grade. It's almost like they've become part of me. The ones I like are just getting harder to find these days. The only ones thye have lots of are the thin plastic ones. I like the big plastic frames. Oh well. We'll see.
  9. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Sep 7, 2004
    Salt Lake
    Go Oakley man!

Hey Oakley is a style that can't be beat (Or at least in my opinion) I have the "Why 8.0" In Titanum with Black Polarized Lenses for my sunglasses and will be getting some "Why 4.0" for regular use-

The nice thing about perscription Oakley's are they are 100% customizable, you don't get that their non-prescription stuff, just the popular choices...

Oakley is the highest quality Sunglasses/Prescription glasses that have ever graced my face!

(Rimless are very good quality, don't let that stop you)
  10. student_trap macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2005
    'Ol Smokey, UK
    Don't hide the fact that you wear glasses, i got ones similar to these and i think that they are fantastic, everyone that i meet say that they look awesome:

Also, i quite like the ones with clear plastic too (with a similar style to the ones above), i saw this woman on the train with a pair the other day and they looked superb!

EDIT: am totally with you Guitarius - go for the bigger styles! loving those wire frames, they kick some serious derriere!
  11. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2004
    Amen to that. I'm one of those people that need my glasses to complete me. I don't look like me when I'm not wearing them, which is the main reason why I haven't gotten contacts. Corective surgery scares the crap out of me.

With all that being said, if you want the smaller, simpler frames, go for them if you think they look good on you. Just don't get them in an atempt to hide them. Be proud of them. Your glasses make you unique.
  12. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I'm the same way with my partner. Part of what originally attracted me to him was his glasses. I LOVE men in glasses. He has a beautiful set of frames, and once talked about LASIK or contacts. That was a short discussion. :p ;)

He's just not the same person without them, but if he really wanted to get rid of them, I'd still love him. :)
  13. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    My wife just got a pair of the rimless, hinge-less, transitions that look a lot like the first posters. She's pretty happy with them. Not as happy as she'd be if she could go back to contacts, but hey...