EyeTV 2 and IceTV EPQ [Aust]

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by risc, Jan 11, 2006.

1. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Hey all,

Has anyone managed to get the IceTV EPQ working correctly with their EyeTV? When I try to switch a channel over to IceTV this is what I get:

[​IMG]

I'm assuming I should have a list of channels in there to associate with my IceTV subscription like I do in the IceTV widget which works perfectly. I have no option except None in the drop down menu, and if I go ahead and press Assign the EPQ doesn't change from DVB.

Does anyone have a solution for this? I've searched the web, searched Elgatos website, and I've logged a support call with Elgato about this, but if someone has a quick fix I'm all ears.

2. mattw.watson macrumors newbie

eyetv 2 icetv epg not working

Hi,
    I've had the same problem, searched everywhere read all the manuals, raised a support issue, no luck so far - only thing I could figure is that you are supposed to select "Channel Lienup" from the action menu on the channels view to slect the region etc, but it's never active, always greyed out - hope someone at elgato gets around to replying soon, the icetv free trial is running out.

I tried the icetv dashboard widget, which does work, but seems to hang a lot and is pretty clunky to use.

Keep me posted if you get anywhere...
    Matt

3. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

Yeah El Gato haven't replied at all to me about this, I might send them a reminder now. ;)

4. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

Well I finally got a response from them. There is no support in this version for IceTV. I repeat it does not work!

Use the IceTV widget, downloadable from their website.

There should be direct support in a later EyeTV 2 update.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Customer Support

Elgato Systems LLC

5. mattw.watson macrumors newbie

Same for me, this is the reply I got:

There is no direct IceTV support now.

Use the IceTV widget, downloadable from their website.

I don't know about you, but I don not want to pay $3/week for a widget that seems to hang and be unresponsive for long periods of time (up to 2 minutes at a time). When it does work, it is able to schedule programs etc.

Do you have this problem?

Als, I have noticed that ABC HD here in sydney occasionally supports the DVB EPG feature and I get about 16hours ahead worth of scheduling info from them. No other channels have done this as far as I've noticed.

<rant>One of the reasons I imagine Digital TV takeup in Oz is so bad is because so many of the benfits (EPG, 5.1 sound etc) are so rarely, if ever used. </rant>

Matt

6. MyLeftNut macrumors regular

Sorry to ask this fellas...do you recommend EyeTV2? Hows it working for you? Sorry to Hijack your thread...:)

7. devman macrumors 65816

devman

yeah I'm interested to know as well. Right now, I don't intend to upgrade. The price is ridiculous.

8. nordesmic macrumors member

Eyetv 2.0

Hi I started using Version 2.0 of EyeTV yesterday and it doesnt seem to offer that much over 1.8.4. The Interface is better looking and certainly borrows from the simplicity of iTunes, iPhoto etc. I think that the integration with Toast 7 and the option to export to iPod are neat features, although I haven't had a chance to utilise them. If the program guide included all the channels available (in Australia) other than Nine, I think that the ability to record programs would be much simpler than in the previous version. With some updates to the program guide (IceTV etc.) this version definitely has some great potential.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. MyLeftNut macrumors regular

Wow. Thanks for the screenshots Nordesmic. But why cant you get other channels..doesnt seem good value to me if you cant?

10. nordesmic macrumors member

I'm no expert on digital TV but I would guess that the reason Seven, Ten, ABC and SBS don't show up using the DVB guide is because all these channels have an associated "episode guide channel". So I guess we will have to wait for someone to fill the void, but once this is done (and I think it will be eventually) EyeTV 2 will be a slick interface.

11. devman macrumors 65816

devman

1.8.4 has export to iPod and Toast also (I think - I don't have Toast). So basically it's a new UI and IceTV is a subscription service... all for USD$49 - soon to be USD$79. They must be joking.

12. ibglowin macrumors regular

I took them up on the $49 offer. I have 2 EyeTV boxes (200 & 500)

The new user interface is much slicker than the previous one. The nicest thing is the improved integration with TitanTV. No more clicking an icon and waiting and waiting for it to show up in Safari. The guide is now just a quick instant click away inside EyeTV2. (Note: You must run through the complete setup again including scanning your channels for this new feature to work properly!)

You now have a scroll bar (at the bottom like in iPhoto) as well on your recorded programs list that will blow up the icons etc.

improved (they say) integration with iPod. I don't use it as I always export to iMovie and edit (better edititing tool for sure) and then burn to DVD or export to ipod via Quicktime etc.

Most annoying thing is the new controller. Its been redesigned to look more futuristic (I guess) but now it doesn't go away if you put EyeTV into the background like before. Its stays visable even if your working on something else and the the only way it goes away is if you hide it or close it. Haven't found any way to change that yet.

Anyone else ever had problems with switching between "System Sound" and "Digital Sound"??

I have some of the Logitec 5500 speakers with Optical connection. If you try switching over to digital so you get true 5.1 audio and then try and play something in iTunes later it will hose your system sound until you go back and switch it back. Plus you can't switch it back if the tv is active. That will hang your system bigtime. If you leave it on "System Sound" all is well everywhere else but you just get your recordings in stereo, not the true 5.1 sound.

Only real thing I don't like about my particular setup. Other than that its a great product!!

13. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

I don't think EyeTV 2 is worth the money at all. The interface is a joke some options are buttons some are hidden in a lame as drop down or pull up menu, that weird thing is it's the most commonly used options you need to use a menu to access. Also the inclusion of IceTV support, which doesn't work is pointless at best!

14. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

The IceTV widget is perfect here, I'm running it on a Dual G5 on 24000/1000 ADSL2+ though I don't know if either of them are helping me out, but it hasn't crashed once on me.

15. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

Well after 9 months the issues mentioned here have actually been fixed with the latest upgrade to Eye TV 2. The latest version 2.3.2 has a working Ice TV guide.

Instructions for setting up IceTV are available here: http://www.icetv.com.au/support.php?faq_id=48