EyeTV 250 Coming!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by esaleris, Mar 29, 2006.

1. esaleris macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I tried searching, but all I got were people with "250" GB hard drives with "EyeTV". But this is just something you need to know if you are thinking of a PVR project. The EyeTV 200 is being sold in only a few stores; so I went to the apple.com store and guess what?

Apple Store
    Look on the right under "New Products..."

Looks like the EyeTV 250 is coming soon! 4-5 weeks, to be specific. Smaller form factor and a $100 price reduction? I'm doing this out to warn people so they don't shell out $300 for something that's gonna be replaced very soon - at a lower price... Sorry if it's old news...

2. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

That looks like a mistake on Apple's website. There is no mention of the 250 anywhere on El Gato's website. The product pictured is the EyeTV EZ. Although the price doesn't match. Hmm...

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The equiv Steve Jobs of El Gato is going to be pissed. Apple leaked their product.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The Apple Store links time out after a while, so here's a copy of the page :)

Attached Files:

5. ziutek macrumors member

Though it looks like EyeTV EZ, they might have decided to use the same small compact design for their new product.
    BTW I just checked the website and EyeTV 200 isn't currently available...so most likely it truely is a new product.

6. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

Hmm, the Mfr. Part No differs between the 250 and the ez also.

EDIT* There is a post at xl8ryourmac talking about the eyetv250 and its confirmed from elgato...
    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/#S18634

7. ziutek macrumors member

Arrg! According to xlr8yourmac, eyetv 250 is usb 2.0, not firewire (apple's website has the incorrect information displayed). It seems everything is switching from firewire to to usb.

8. turbopants macrumors regular

Looks like a nice product at $200. It's probably only USB 2.0 to save them a few bucks in production costs.

9. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Thanks for the heads up - Guess Apple are not planning their own system anytime soon.

10. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I'm not sure I see what's different for example with my
    EyeTV for DTT.
    It is also USB 2.0
    I love it - and it works a treat on my PB!

11. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

It's a analog TV receiver, digital is happening now. They should of made it digital.

Side question this is standard definition receiver how does the image look like on a 20" iMac?

12. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Ah thanks.
    Glad I've already got my digital version then!
    I'm almost a late purchaser of this actually - have friends that have been using it for a long time.

13. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

ive been researching this a lot. and just purchased the eye TV 200. i noticed the eyeTV 200 was out of stock at apple stores, not listed online, and listed as "currently unavailable" on elgato's web site.

the 250 looks almost exactly like the available images of the EZ. and the few sparse descriptions available online lead me to believe the 250 is a digital version of the EZ. which means the 250 uses software encoding to record video. the 200 on the other hand has a built in chip that does the encoding on the external hardware so it does not eat up all of the processing power of the computer you have it hooked up to.

so maybe this means elgato is going to ditch the hardware based encoders! which means i should go out and buy a 500 which is the hardware based digital/HD set. for the day when digital HD cable is cheap enough for me to be willing to pay for it! heh.

hmmm i just found one description that said the 250 uses hardware based encoding . . .

14. ziutek macrumors member

I don't think they got rid of hardware encoding as they have to differentiate between the eyetv ez and the eyetv 250 or else they would be the exact same thing.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well I did just get the EyeTV 200 and yes it was $300 but if they rid it of firewire, drop $100 of the price tag and make it analog then fine by me. If it's a better product, smaller form, and has all of the features mine has then I may be slightly bummed.
    Either way I love my eyetv I am sorry I didn't get it sooner.

16. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Which is fine unless you happen to be using iMovie or Final Cut Express which only import from Firewire/DV sources. Seems almost silly for a Mac-oriented hardware company to be moving away from the one feature used most commonly by video capturing software on the Mac.

17. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

...but the content is already imported by the eye tv, you simply import the footage from your hardrive in iMovie.

18. PrismaticRealms macrumors member

Asked Elgato about the 250

Hi all.

I asked Elgato about the EyeTV 250 situation with their website and Apple's website, and this is the response I got:

The EyeTV 250 has been prematurely displayed on Apple's website - the product hasn't officially been announced yet. It will be avaiable later in April, and our website should be changed soon to display information on this product. Currently, we are not able to release any information yet.

19. PrismaticRealms macrumors member

Well, what do you know? Elgato has started shipping the EyeTV 250. Checkout their website for the info.

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'll hold out for the DTV version. I want the console support since I don't want to buy another TV.

21. freiheit macrumors 6502a

True, but according to Elgato's site (updated today) it captures to MPEG-1 (notoriously bad with QuickTime) or MPEG-2 (not exactly quick or easy to import into iMovie). It may work just fine, but i'm squeamish at paying $200 (I already own a Canopus PCI card that does hardware DV capture) to find out. If anyone else feels adventurous and wants to give us all a review, I'd be happy to read it.

22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

MacWorld is usually pretty fast with reviews. It might take a a month or two though.

23. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Huh, no RCA input jacks by the looks of it - cable and Antenna only, so not suitable for what I want.

I just tried the EsKape MyTV.PCR (Hauppage) - the software is buggy, and made the fans on my PB go into overdrive. Emailed Tech Support about the bugs and attached a crash report and no reply in 5 days, so it's going back. I found an EyeTV 200 on Amazon and it arrived yesterday. So far so good, no apparent fan speed increase and the quality seems good from what I've seen so far. No bugs encountered so far. Altogether a better product than the MyTV, but twice the price.

24. esaleris thread starter macrumors 6502

I think it can take those signals.

Really, the only difference is that EyeTV 250 does NOT do MPEG-4 encoding...

25. blodwyn macrumors 65816

OK maybe I goofed, I was looking at the TUAW site at http://www.tuaw.com/2006/04/06/elgato-releases-the-eyetv-250/

Quote: "Note that the eyeTV 250 only does analog cable/antenna recording".