EyeTV and Playstation?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by _pb_boi, May 19, 2005.

1. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Hey,

I'm *finally* ordering my new Powerbook, a 15in 1.5GHz stock model. Since I'm going to uni in October, and have a 20in ACD, I figured it'd be good to watch TV on the monitor.

I was looking at the Elgato EyeTV USB Digital Video Recorder, which I can get for around £160, give or take. I'm pretty sure this is up to the job of watching TV on my Mac, and it's a decent price, which is important!

On the website, it lists inputs and outputs as follows:

"
    EyeTV has an analogue cable-ready TV tuner and composite RCA video/left/right inputs. The composite input accepts sources such as VCRs, cable boxes, camcorders, etc. Eye TV outputs the video and audio over the USB bus. You can watch both on your computer. EyeTV does not contain TV-out hardware.
    "

My question is this; will it be possible to hook a Playstation 2 up to this? I'd *love* to play Playstation through my ACD, but I'm not sure if this will let me. It's not a deal breaker, but if it doesn't let me - is there anything that will?

Cheers in advance people!

andy.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It seems the short answer is yes but the long answer is that you wouldn't want to because of the delay. See here for more. :)

3. _pb_boi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick reply!

Much appreciated mate - well, it's not a deal breaker. Plus, the Playstation 2 is my brothers, I'd need to buy another one. Probably couldn't afford to atm anyway, so maybe it's a good thing :)

Thanks again mate.

andy.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No problems. I've been thinking of getting one too but I can't quite justify the price just yet. Feel free to post about how good or bad it is, cheers. :)

5. _pb_boi thread starter macrumors 6502

I will indeed :) While I'm definately getting the Powerbook, I only today decided to get the EyeTV. Now I gotta see whether I can hold out and actually order it :)

Unfortunately it's gonna be this time next month before the order goes through :( I need to wait until my next months wages come in so I can put down the deposit on the interest free, lol. Bloody part time job!

I can't wait :) I think it'll be a more elegant solution than buying a separate TV; the ACD begs to be used as a TV, imho. I'll post pictures and opinions when the stuff arrives.

andy.

6. iJaz macrumors 6502a

iJaz

Too bad about this delay, it'd be so nice to play video games with the EyeTV. PS on my iMac, would have been great! :p
    Maybe it will be ok if you only play strategy games...

7. _pb_boi thread starter macrumors 6502

Macer,

Good point! lol

1.5sec delay, does kinda suck a bit, but oh well - I really wanna get WoW for Mac though, dear gawd that game looks incredible. £8.99 a month sorta sucks though :s Plus, what's the price of pissing your life away on a game :p

andy.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I love the Elgato products; but I am hesitant on buying anything here in the US since we have not finalized the switch to DTV and all. Just wish Cox had a DVR that allowed recording to a HDD or a or a computer. :(

9. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Slightly off the point.. but what uni you going to?

I'm going in october too - Bath hopefully. See signiture for my macs.

I'll be needing a new laptop to take. I'm waiting for next month's WWDC.. well actually I'm waiting for whatever is out in september, when I'll buy one. I'm really hoping for new iBooks/Tablets at WWDC next month.

10. _pb_boi thread starter macrumors 6502

Going to Heriot-Watt, term starts mid-October.

I don't think new Powerbooks will be released at WWDC, just because the move to G5 is a huge step - and do I really want some big, fat, low battery life revision G5 burning my bits (worse than the current G4's already do) when I could have what is, effectively, an incredibly refined and fast model right now. Easy choice :)

I'd consider an iBook but for my monitor - limits my options :rolleyes:

andy.