EyeTV App Debuts in App Store

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 29, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Elgato Systems, the maker of TV software and tuners for the Mac, has announced that its EyeTV app is now available in the App Store. The app is made to work in conjunction with a Mac running the EyeTV software and its features are as follows:

- Watch live TV and change channels anywhere (Wi-Fi connection required)
    - Watch your EyeTV recordings
    - Browse the comprehensive Program Guide
    - Start recordings back home on your Mac immediately or schedule them for later.
    - View and edit your recording schedules

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The companion Mac used with the app must be running the EyeTV software, version 3.2 - which was just released today - or higher and it must have a compatible TV tuner connected to it. In order to view streaming live TV on an iPhone with the EyeTV app, the companion Mac must have an Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better.

The EyeTV app costs $4.99 and can be found in the App Store here (link opens iTunes).

Article Link: EyeTV App Debuts in App Store

2. macrumors 601

DMann

This is very cool, and will be a great alternative to SlingPlayer.

3. macrumors 6502

I like it so far - looks very slick and Live TV streaming is just great via home network.

the 'back to my EyeTV' service wouldn't work behind my router - haven't had time to manually set port forwarding up yet so I can't test it out while away from home.

Hope the App gets remote controll for EyeTV

4. macrumors 601

Eddyisgreat

I was surprised that Elgato is charging for this because I thought it would be a simple remote changing App, but live tv on my phone? Amazing. I'm getting it right now.

5. macrumors 6502a

But that's only over your home wifi network, no?

So does this mean I can be at work and use my iPhone to schedule to record a programme that my sleeping mac will then wake-up and record?

6. macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

You don't have to be connected to your home network. You just have to be connected to a Wi-Fi network (not 3G) to watch live TV.

7. macrumors 6502

question...

If I'm on a wifi network outside of my house, does my Mac need to be turned on and not in sleep mode at home in order for this to work? Can the Elgato device be turned on while the computer is off? (I don't have one of these, but have been considering getting one).

8. macrumors 601

Tilpots

Wonder if the home TV must be watching what the iPhone is seeing, or if dual tuners could come into play???

Sounds like a pretty cool app...

9. macrumors 6502a

electroshock

I'm not sure of details about how this stuff works (though I do have the Elgato USB device) yet. But doubt this works if the Mac is off because the USB device requires a running OS for it to read data off the TV connection and process it.

I can say for sure the Elgato stuff is solid on my MBP and works well. Looking forward to seeing it serving as a proxy for my iPhone.

10. macrumors 6502a

Not working for me - I'm getting "Router incompatible" even though Elgato says the Apple Airport Express is fine.

"Ensure NAT-PMP and UPnP are activated." Didn't realise I'd need an IT degree...

11. macrumors member

I'm having the same problem

12. macrumors regular

best thing is connect360 now works alongside eyetv sharing

13. macrumors regular

does eyetv need to be running on my mac for this to work, or can i remotely start it using the app?

14. macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

The app must be open, but you don't have to have a channel open.

15. macrumors 6502a

It does not work here. EyeTV 3.2 running on my MBP, iPhone access enabled in settings, WiFi okay, but I am only getting this message ("cannot find EyeTV in network") like in the screenshot. Rebooted iPhone twice: NADA.

Edit: Problem solved. Look here.

Attached Files:

16. macrumors regular

17. macrumors regular

18. macrumors 6502a

What's the program guide like? I've missed having a program guide on my iPhone since What's On changed their interface.

19. macrumors 604

ravenvii

20. macrumors member

How do people like this app/hardware versus the slingbox?

21. macrumors G5

nagromme

I've never owned a slingbox, and remote viewing is a cool feature I'll use only occasionally, but I've been VERY happy with my EyeTV Hybrid and EyeTV 2 and 3 software. I'll be buying this app for sure--I'm just waiting to let the early adopters be the guinea pigs for Eye TV 3.2 :)

22. macrumors newbie

Ummm little help... can't get past the "passcode" screen.

23. macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Restart your mac.

24. macrumors member

Am I missing something or is this pretty useless for DirecTV customers? Don't get me wrong, I am sure this app is awesome. But I don't see how I would change channels via my iPhone since everything is through a box. Is there a workaround? I'd like the ability to use this, but without channel swapping abilities I'm afraid it's useless for satellite and cable box customers.

25. macrumors 601

jaw04005

Works great here too. I'm currently streaming across AT&T's 3G network (eat that, AT&T).

I love El Gato. :)