Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
BTW I use about 210 kpbs as the quality, seems like a nice balance of quality and performance. Edge works but has very bad performance, even at 80 kbps.

wadejc85

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
PA
Looks like it got pulled. Just tried to buy it and got this message...

Attachments

• eyetv.png
    eyetv.png
    93.7 KB · Views: 92

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Apple Agreement

In the terms you agree to it specifically states you are not allowed to hide features from testing within Apple. So either Apple knows about this or EyeTV is in violation of the developer agreement.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
This is so freakin' cool

Absolutely. That's it. Who has time shift, pause, comfortable recorder programming and extensive EPG at the home tv set?

Anyone try it? Does it look halfway decent?

It looks really good. Image and sound (stereo) quality top. I've made a short technical demo videoclip (it's via different Wi-Fis but the quality is the same like via 3G).

Here a screenshot that I've made some minutes ago on 3G:

Attachments

• IMG_1918.PNG
    IMG_1918.PNG
    104.5 KB · Views: 69

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
AT&T is on record saying no video streaming for the iPhone over 3G. They say it is a clear violation of their TOS. Sure, "AT&T doesn't approve apps," but I'm sure Slingplayer would beg to differ.

Orb does it. Officially. Elgato seemed to be pretty far down the front of Apple's trousers, what with Apple selling their stuff in Apple stores. I wonder what this might to do their relationship.

RakEgg

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
Inglourious Basterds !!! ...with apologies to Quentin Tarantino.

They pulled it! http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/mad.gif

When oh when are the US regulators going to blow up AT&T and Apple's ship over this continuing anti-competitive, ant-trust stuff!

I downloaded my copy but could not get the rest of the team to download theirs. Make's you want to break copyright and transfer my copy to my team? How do I do that anyway?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Anyone try it? Does it look halfway decent?

I tried it for 2 hours driving up and down i-5 and it worked great. I can't tell how much data it used though since I havn't reset my statistics. The only thing I really do is check my e-mail and omnifocus sync so i'd say about 1 GB? Maybe I don't know thats pretty high.

Still worked great.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
AT&T is on record saying no video streaming for the iPhone over 3G. They say it is a clear violation of their TOS. Sure, "AT&T doesn't approve apps," but I'm sure Slingplayer would beg to differ.
It's only live TV that is prohibited. You can stream pre-recorded video or video files from your HD using a variety of apps that are available on the iTunes Store.

This is why SlingPlayer was caught in the sling -- they feature streaming of live TV. Any pre-recorded content has to exist on a DVR that can be controlled by the SlingPlayer remote and I suspect that the SlingPlayer can't really determine whether it is streaming live or recorded video and thus it was forced to disable playback over 3G (since it could be live TV).

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
Apple should at least just make it a carrier file setting to what you can/can't do over 3G on that provider's network.

I'm with 3 here in Australia, and they advertise that you can use Skype on compatible phones (over 3G) and even have some live TV streaming for sporting events.

Just because AT&T can't get their act together, doesn't mean the rest of the world should suffer too.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
This will get pulled. It is in direct violation of Apple's policy on iPhone Easter Eggs. It clearly states that Easter Eggs are allowed, provided they give Apple the details of how to activate them on submission of the app. Developers that fail to do this will get their app pulled from the store.

The inherent problem with 'secret' Easter Eggs is that they need to be publicised so that people can know about them, but then that also lets the cat out of the bag for Apple! :eek:

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Macworld UK: Apple pulls Elgato EyeTV app over backdoor 3G streaming. Elgato is quoted there:

„Some test code that enabled live TV streaming over the cellular network was accidentally left in the the EyeTV App. Apple requested that we remove the code since their agreement with AT&T does not allow redirecting TV signals over the cellular network.“

„The code was removed and a 1.0.1 version of the EyeTV app was submitted. We expect EyeTV to return to the App Store when the 1.0.1 version is approved.“

I will not upgrade—and soon I'll call it "Cat & Mouse Phone".

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
It's only live TV that is prohibited. You can stream pre-recorded video or video files from your HD using a variety of apps that are available on the iTunes Store.

This is why SlingPlayer was caught in the sling -- they feature streaming of live TV. Any pre-recorded content has to exist on a DVR that can be controlled by the SlingPlayer remote and I suspect that the SlingPlayer can't really determine whether it is streaming live or recorded video and thus it was forced to disable playback over 3G (since it could be live TV).

Doesn't matter. It's been pulled. Case closed.

Does anyone in their right mind still think that AT&T doesn't play a significant role in the app approval process? I hope the FCC catches wind of this latest farce.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
fpnc said:
It's only live TV that is prohibited. You can stream pre-recorded video or video files from your HD using a variety of apps that are available on the iTunes Store...
Doesn't matter. It's been pulled. Case closed....
But that is the point, it's only live TV that is prohibited and that's why the current version of EyeTV was pulled. However, you can configure EyeTV to automatically convert any recording to a 3G-enabled format that will begin as soon as the TV show ends (plus the required encoding time). Thus, you can do a "tape delay" (if you will) of any TV show and be viewing it on your iPhone over 3G in a matter of minutes after the show is done. True, not the same as live TV and somewhat inconvenient but not too bad.

ElBerserko

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Since this app uses Apple's built-in HTTP streaming abilities, it would be possible to stream live TV through Safari if the EyeTV software on your computer made this URL available. Apple/AT&T couldn't do anything about it.

There would still be an incentive for buying their iPhone app for setting recording schedules, channel, previous recordings etc.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I bought the app on day 1. The easter egg is pretty sweet as I'm watching the Cal's game right now on my iPhone 3GS.

I doubt I will update the app similar to iStat after they removed the free memory feature.

MacDSmith2

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2009
What's the big deal for AT&T? Bandwidth problems if everybody starts watching the USC football game at the same time on their iPhones?

dereth

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2005
Singapore
We've had enough from AT&T.

We're considering pulling our corporate premier account out and moving to another service provider. The loss is only 1 million per year for them anyway. No biggie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.