EyeTV HD to iMac (U-Verse TV provider) question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kbutler84, Aug 26, 2011.

1. kbutler84, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2011
    I currently have a slingbox, which works ok, but is not HD. I would like to upgrade to something that will allow me to stream HD to ipad/iphone, stream to Apple TV 2, plus the ability to record to my iMac so I can store shows for later (football games, etc).

Will EyeTV HD do what I want? Will I be able to view and record all my channels that I receive from U-Verse? Also, after the free year of TV Guide, is it necessary to keep for $20/year or can you get by without it?
  2. macrumors 603

Feb 15, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    To capture HD cable you need an HDHomeRun with cable card support. Or if you cable company allows for QAM you might get a handful of SD channels.
  3. thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2011
    Maybe I'm confused, but why can't I use the EyeTV HD instead of the HDHomeRun? And my U-Verse box doesn't support cablecard.
  4. macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2010
    The EyeTV HD will take the output from your cable box/satellite dish if there is a component output. It needs to be connected directly via USB to a Mac. I haven't really played around with live streaming on mine. I know it does not stream to the Apple TV; you have to convert the files to do that. It does stream wirelessly to the iPad and the iPhone, but I don't think it does it live. Again, you have to convert the file.
  5. thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2011
    Yeah, I finally realized that what I'm looking for would be a combination of the EyeTV HD and the HDHomeRun. I want to be able to access the encrypted HD channels that I'm subscribed to through U-Verse (which EyeTV HD allows) and stream it to my iMac (which HDHomeRun does). However, as far as I can tell, there isn't a product that does this.