Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vlawillie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
The purpose I had for my eyetv hybrid was to play gamecube on my powerbook. I can fairly confidently tell everyone that it works great with s-video. RCA video will be less quality so definitely stick to s-video. There is little to no lag, I dont notice it even in reflex games like soul calibur 2 or sports games. The quality is good, and there is tweaking available in the preferences for those of us who like optimizing everything. It will look as good on your mac as on any lcd tv I think (I may be wrong, I haven't tested this theory).

The HDTV capabilities are friggin amazing. I have never had access to HDTV before and this is awesome because I live in the middle of Boston with 20 over the air hdtv channels available. BTW, I am using my fm radio's antenna to pull in all these channels (wow!!).

I am doing all this on a Powerbook G4 1.5 ghz, 512 Ram, 128 mb ATI 9700

I am really happy with my purchase!

vlawillie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Dont Hurt Me said:
I have to ask how much better is hdtv vs say a dvd movie?

Incomparable. HDTV has up to 3x or something the resolution of dvd's. Even watching a nature clip in HDTV is stunning, let alone a tv show in 720p or 1080p.

Hope that helps

vlawillie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
I can't figure out how to post screen shots, but I have them and they look pretty good. Let me know a way.

ukroell

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2006
Hi from Germany. First: Sorry for my bad english. ;)

Second: Thank you for your review, I'm searching something so long.
I'll put also my GameCube on the EyeTV Hybrid, and soon the Wii.

And yes, I'm also interessted in pictures.
Use ImageShack to upload the photos. You can directly put code to the forum.
Or use this great Widget.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Did you have to set it to game mode to get it to run games w/o delay? I had the eyeTV EZ but there was a noticeable delay when gaming. Maybe I was missing something.

ukroell

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2006
Thank you for the picture (and the following). ;)
Is it possible to take the picture fullscreen?

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
You can play games in a window, right? I would love to get one of these and hook up a dreamcast (something not hooked up to my tv) and play in a little window on my 24" iMac. :)

vlawillie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Yes you can play games in a window,

That is actually full screen, the bar is just the way capture shows the full screen shot,

No there is no game setting, just no delay in general, at least not one that I can notice. I guess it could be different for other people.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
vlawillie said:
Yes you can play games in a window,

That is actually full screen, the bar is just the way capture shows the full screen shot,

No there is no game setting, just no delay in general, at least not one that I can notice. I guess it could be different for other people.
Try playing a Mega Man X game or a twitch fest fighter. :rolleyes:

uspcommuter

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004
ooooo finally a screenshot...got any more good pics or even a video (I Know its wishful thinking)? I am thinking about getting an Eyetv hybrid as well to replace my tv...how does analog look on it? Thanks.

vlawillie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
I've tried twitch-test fighters (soul calibur2, viewtiful joe) and it holds up rather nicely I think. Sorry, i dont think I can manage a video. it works!

Milanista

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
Does it allow widescreen for games? or HD?

Secondly, how does the sound connect? just the regular red/white cables?

vlawillie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
unfortunately no high def for games (that would be sweet!!!)

You can play them in widescreen if you set them to widescreen.

yeah, sound is just red/white rca cables

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
i'm definatley going to have to order one of these little guys soon. who has the best deal.

oliath

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006
I would wait.

I got one to play my xbox360 and it DOES have latency.
Not much... but enough to make online gameplay frustrating... in causing you to over aim and miss targets etc...

Am waiting to hear from Elgato on a solution or fix otherwise this is going back to the store as gaming is what i purchased it for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.